caps lock

  • sinbad
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 1, 2012
      how to turn on/off the caps lock while in insert mode.
      i want to turn off the caps lock while leaving out of the insert mode.
      how can i do that. i googled first, didn't get any convincing answer.

      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 1, 2012
        On 01/06/12 10:04, sinbad wrote:
        > how to turn on/off the caps lock while in insert mode.
        > i want to turn off the caps lock while leaving out of the insert mode.
        > how can i do that. i googled first, didn't get any convincing answer.

        AFAIK, CapsLock on/off status is handled by the keyboard driver
        transparently to Vim. I don't think Vim can simulate that action.

        You might build a lot of mappings, such as

        inoremap a A
        inoremap b B
        inoremap c C
        inoremap x X
        inoremap y Y
        inoremap z Z
        inoremap A a
        inoremap B b
        inoremap Z z

        but there would still be the question of determining when to turn them
        on/off.

        Fine day to work off excess energy. Steal something heavy.

      • Christian Brabandt
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 1, 2012
          On Fri, June 1, 2012 10:04, sinbad wrote:
          > how to turn on/off the caps lock while in insert mode.
          > i want to turn off the caps lock while leaving out of the insert mode.
          > how can i do that. i googled first, didn't get any convincing answer.

          If you find a way, to turn on/off caps-lock via a script, you could call
          that script from an InsertEnter/Leave autocommand.

          Apart from that, there is nothing more an editor can do for you, besides
          maybe remapping a whole bunch of keys.

          regards,
          Christian

        • Tim Chase
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 1, 2012
            On 06/01/12 04:11, Christian Brabandt wrote:
            > If you find a way, to turn on/off caps-lock via a script, you could call
            > that script from an InsertEnter/Leave autocommand.

            Just a caveat that InsertLeave doesn't execute if you're leaving
            Insert mode via control+C

            -tim

          • Michael van Schaik
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 1, 2012
              Op vrijdag 1 juni 2012 10:04:35 UTC+2 schreef sinbad het volgende:
              > how to turn on/off the caps lock while in insert mode.
              > i want to turn off the caps lock while leaving out of the insert mode.
              > how can i do that. i googled first, didn't get any convincing answer.

              Hi Sinbad,

              Check out this article: http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Avoid_the_escape_key it links to two seperate instructions for remapping the Caps Lock to Esc for different environments. Maybe this will help you to get to what you want.

              Good luck.

            • Ben Fritz
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 1, 2012
                On Friday, June 1, 2012 3:04:35 AM UTC-5, sinbad wrote:
                > how to turn on/off the caps lock while in insert mode.
                > i want to turn off the caps lock while leaving out of the insert mode.
                > how can i do that. i googled first, didn't get any convincing answer.

                http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Insert-mode_only_Caps_Lock

                I think it solves some of the problems brought up by the others in this thread.