Re: auto reload of config files

  • HarleyPig
    Message 1 of 3 , May 30, 2012
      On Wednesday, May 30, 2012 2:55:03 AM UTC-6, Benjamin R. Haskell wrote:
      > A better way to prevent doubling autocmds is to put them in a group

      Good points. It's been switched. Thank you.

      > In what way do they not work? To verify that your .vimrc is being
      > reloaded, add this to your .vimrc:
      >
      > echomsg 'Loaded .vimrc'

      It seems .vimrc *is* being reloaded. But the settings I'm testing don't appear to be changing.

      > Also note that your plugins won't be reloaded just because you source
      > your ~/.vimrc. They're autoloaded at startup. (See :help load-plugins
      > for the gory details.) From that help text, maybe you also want:

      And this is probably part of the reason why they aren't changing ... these aren't plugins, even though I have them in my after/plugins subdirectory, they're just settings and random functions and mappings I use.

      I moved these files to after/plugin so I wouldn't have to remember to source them in my .vimrc but it appears now that may not be the best choice.

      > autocmd BufWritePost misc.vim runtime! plugins/**/*.vim

      After reading the docs on the runtime command I came up with the following for my .vimrc. It seems to work as expected.

      runtime! extra/*.vim

      aug AutoloadVimrc
      au!
      au BufWritePost .vimrc source $MYVIMRC
      au BufWritePost */extra/*.vim source $MYVIMRC
      aug END

      Thanks for the pointers.