Re: Behavior of ; following t{char} search

  • Drew Neil
    Message 1 of 3 , May 27, 2012
      On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 11:42 AM, Christian Brabandt <cblists@...> wrote:
      Hi Drew!

      On So, 27 Mai 2012, Drew Neil wrote:

      > Using this as an example:
      >
      >     one. two. three. four. five.
      >
      > Starting with the cursor at the beginning of the line, if I press:
      >
      >     f.  - cursor moves to '.' after 'one'
      >     ;   - cursor moves to '.' after 'two'
      >     ;   - cursor moves to '.' after 'three'
      >     etc.
      >
      > In Vim 7.2, this is what happens if I use the t{char} command, instead of
      > f{char}:
      >
      >     t.  - cursor moves to 'e' at end of 'one'
      >     ;   - cursor doesn't move
      >     ;   - cursor doesn't move
      >     etc.
      >
      > Whereas in Vim 7.3, I get this result:
      >
      >     t.  - cursor moves to 'e' at end of 'one'
      >     ;   - cursor moves to 'o' at end of 'two'
      >     ;   - cursor moves to 'e' at end of 'three'
      >     etc.
      >
      > I must say, I prefer the behavior in 7.3. Is this a bug fix? I can't find
      > any record of it in the changelog (:h version-7.3).

      This was caused by patch 7.3.235
      (http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/msg/9e771327865fe9b6)

      I guess it will be included sometimes in version7.txt when 7.4 is
      released or in version8.txt if the next major release of vim will be
      version 8.0

      Thanks for the clarification. This patch makes me happy!

      Drew