Re: vim says "No protocol specified" and I have no idea what it means

  • Tim Chase
    Message 1 of 11 , May 4, 2012
      On 05/04/12 16:08, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
      > On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 9:55 AM, Thilo Six <T.Six@...> wrote:
      >> I am not impolite but we are getting out of the focus of this list.
      >> Please ask this question again on an appropriate list.
      >
      > Huh?

      You have no complaints here...while the underlying cause was mostly
      non-vim related (X permissions for accessing the clipboard as a
      different user), it manifests itself in certain builds of vim and is
      thus appropriate for discussion here. Even if it's only to learn
      the main issue and research it elsewhere. Fortunately, this is a
      generally friendly & knowledgeable mailing list, so hopefully you
      received more than sufficient answer here.

      -tim

    • Erik Christiansen
      Message 2 of 11 , May 4, 2012
        On 04.05.12 14:08, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
        > On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 9:55 AM, Thilo Six <T.Six@...> wrote:
        > > Excerpt from Erik Christiansen:
        > >
        > > -- <snip> --
        > >> That looks like a neat fix, Thilo.
        > >>
        > >> But is there a weakness in the OP's access control config?
        > >> Here, on my ubuntu 10.04, unaltered and still as OOTB, starting X as
        > >> "erik", doing an "su -", then vimming anything which stands still, has
        > >> always worked, not least (I figure) because of:
        > >>
        > >> $ xhost
        > >> access control enabled, only authorized clients can connect
        > >> SI:localuser:erik
        > >> SI:localuser:gdm
        > >> SI:localuser:root
        > >>
        > >> So just doing an:
        > >>
        > >> $ xhost +root
        > >>
        > >> in ~/.bash_profile might just do it too?
        > >>
        > >> Erik
        > >
        > > I am not impolite but we are getting out of the focus of this list.
        > > Please ask this question again on an appropriate list.
        >
        > Huh? This was posted to vim_use, and it's about my difficulties using
        > vim. It's a permissions problem that seems not to affect anything
        > else, so we're talking about permissions and strategies and scriptlets
        > to fix my problem using vim.
        >
        > I'll bite: where would it be more appropriate?

        Hi Kevin,

        Your difficulties, and the various ways to negate them informed me, and
        I expect they gave you choice of ways out of strife.

        Thilo seems to be sorely confused. My post included one passing
        rhetorical question, as a lead-in to a proposal for another way to avoid
        your problem, which Thilo himself attempted to solve. It was not asking
        any real question, but offering vim-related help.

        Perhaps Thilo can outline why he may try to help, but others may not.

        Erik

        --
        Once it hits the fan, the only rational choice is to sweep it up,
        package it, and sell it as fertilizer. - Anonymous?

      • Thilo Six
        Message 3 of 11 , May 5, 2012
          Hello Kevin,

          Excerpt from Kevin O'Gorman:

          -- <snip> --
          > Huh? This was posted to vim_use, and it's about my difficulties using
          > vim. It's a permissions problem that seems not to affect anything
          > else, so we're talking about permissions and strategies and scriptlets
          > to fix my problem using vim.

          Which has been answered in several different ways. Choose the solution that fits
          you best.

          > I'll bite: where would it be more appropriate?

          Sorry for creating confusion here. Asking here about error messages that appear
          along the way when using vim is absolutely fine, even as Tim explained they are
          caused by underlying mechanisms.

          The 'we are getting out of the focus of this list' was meant toward a discussion
          about different ways how to authenticate on a linux system.

          personal EOT here.
          Thilo

          4096R/0xC70B1A8F