Re: vim says "No protocol specified" and I have no idea what it means

  • Thilo Six
    Message 1 of 11 , May 2, 2012
      Excerpt from Tim Chase:

      > On 05/02/12 08:30, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
      >> The main symptoms are the message "No protocol specified" which
      >> appears both on the editing session (with a different background) and
      >> on the command-line.
      >>
      >> For instance, this is cut-and-pasted directly from my terminal session:
      >>
      >> root@treat:~/scripts# vim -i NONE -u NONE err
      >> No protocol specified
      >> No protocol specified
      >> No protocol specified
      >> root@treat:~/scripts#
      >
      > I believe this is Vim trying to talk to your X server and failing.
      > I suspect you're running X as non-root and then "su"'ed to root. A
      > couple options exist depending on the solution you want:
      >
      > 1) try starting Vim with "-X" to tell vim not to bother connecting
      > to the X server. It's fast, easy, and reliable, but loses the
      > ability for root to use the X clipboards
      >
      > 2) link the ~user/.Xauthority to ~root/.Xauthority with
      >
      > ln -s ~user/.Xauthority ~root/.Xauthority
      >
      > This will give Vim-as-root the ability to talk to the X session. It
      > has the small downside that, if you have multiple users logging into
      > the machine, and you sit down arbitrarily at one of them (rather
      > than always logging in as the same user), you'd have to relink the
      > file each time (easily done by using "-f" and changing the username
      > from "user" to "user2"). This is the solution I use on my Debian
      > boxes at home.
      >
      > 3) blithely ignore the warning secure in knowing that it's only
      > telling you that Vim-as-root can't talk to the X server.

      4)
      ,----[ ~/.bashrc ]--------

      if [[ ${EUID} -eq 0 ]] ; then
      [[ -n ${DISPLAY} ]] && unset DISPLAY
      fi
      `---------------------------------------------

      ,----[ man su ]--------

      If --login is used, the $TERM, $COLORTERM, $DISPLAY,
      and $XAUTHORITY environment variables are copied if
      they were set.
      `---------------------------------------------

      >> The same phrase seems to appear randomly over the editing session.
      >
      > Subsequent messages (after startup) _might_ occur under situations I
      > can't readily confirm without reading the source or a good bit of
      > experimentation, but I'd suspect that efforts to read/write from the
      > clipboard registers ("+" and "*"), or perhaps losing and regaining
      > focus might be possible candidates. However, #1 or #2 above should
      > resolve the issue.
      >
      > -tim

      Thilo

      4096R/0xC70B1A8F

    • Thilo Six
      Message 2 of 11 , May 2, 2012
        Hello

        Excerpt from Thilo Six:
        -- <snip> --
        >> I believe this is Vim trying to talk to your X server and failing.
        >> I suspect you're running X as non-root and then "su"'ed to root. A
        >> couple options exist depending on the solution you want:
        >>
        >> 1) try starting Vim with "-X" to tell vim not to bother connecting
        >> to the X server. It's fast, easy, and reliable, but loses the
        >> ability for root to use the X clipboards
        >>
        >> 2) link the ~user/.Xauthority to ~root/.Xauthority with
        >>
        >> ln -s ~user/.Xauthority ~root/.Xauthority
        >>
        >> This will give Vim-as-root the ability to talk to the X session. It
        >> has the small downside that, if you have multiple users logging into
        >> the machine, and you sit down arbitrarily at one of them (rather
        >> than always logging in as the same user), you'd have to relink the
        >> file each time (easily done by using "-f" and changing the username
        >> from "user" to "user2"). This is the solution I use on my Debian
        >> boxes at home.
        >>
        >> 3) blithely ignore the warning secure in knowing that it's only
        >> telling you that Vim-as-root can't talk to the X server.
        >
        > 4)
        > ,----[ ~/.bashrc ]--------
        >
        > if [[ ${EUID} -eq 0 ]] ; then
        > [[ -n ${DISPLAY} ]] && unset DISPLAY
        > fi
        > `---------------------------------------------
        >

        > ,----[ man su ]--------
        >
        > If --login is used, the $TERM, $COLORTERM, $DISPLAY,
        > and $XAUTHORITY environment variables are copied if
        > they were set.
        > `---------------------------------------------

        i just realised i should add a little note. Sometimes<Esc>bdwiRepeatedly i send
        emails with as little as that text with no surrounding information. Which might
        let me come accross quite bold. Which indeed i am not me thinks.
        I usually just find it boring to write comprehensive emails.

        >>> The same phrase seems to appear randomly over the editing session.
        >>
        >> Subsequent messages (after startup) _might_ occur under situations I
        >> can't readily confirm without reading the source or a good bit of
        >> experimentation, but I'd suspect that efforts to read/write from the
        >> clipboard registers ("+" and "*"), or perhaps losing and regaining
        >> focus might be possible candidates. However, #1 or #2 above should
        >> resolve the issue.
        >>
        >> -tim

        Thilo

        4096R/0xC70B1A8F

      • Erik Christiansen
        Message 3 of 11 , May 3, 2012
          On 02.05.12 19:48, Thilo Six did (boldly) proffer wisdom:
          > 4)
          > ,----[ ~/.bashrc ]--------
          >
          > if [[ ${EUID} -eq 0 ]] ; then
          > [[ -n ${DISPLAY} ]] && unset DISPLAY
          > fi
          > `---------------------------------------------
          >

          > ,----[ man su ]--------
          >
          > If --login is used, the $TERM, $COLORTERM, $DISPLAY,
          > and $XAUTHORITY environment variables are copied if
          > they were set.
          > `---------------------------------------------

          That looks like a neat fix, Thilo.

          But is there a weakness in the OP's access control config?
          Here, on my ubuntu 10.04, unaltered and still as OOTB, starting X as
          "erik", doing an "su -", then vimming anything which stands still, has
          always worked, not least (I figure) because of:

          $ xhost
          access control enabled, only authorized clients can connect
          SI:localuser:erik
          SI:localuser:gdm
          SI:localuser:root

          So just doing an:

          $ xhost +root

          in ~/.bash_profile might just do it too?

          Erik

          --
          I never pray before meals -- my mum's a good cook.

        • Thilo Six
          Message 4 of 11 , May 3, 2012
            Hello Erik,

            Excerpt from Erik Christiansen:

            -- <snip> --
            > That looks like a neat fix, Thilo.
            >
            > But is there a weakness in the OP's access control config?
            > Here, on my ubuntu 10.04, unaltered and still as OOTB, starting X as
            > "erik", doing an "su -", then vimming anything which stands still, has
            > always worked, not least (I figure) because of:
            >
            > $ xhost
            > access control enabled, only authorized clients can connect
            > SI:localuser:erik
            > SI:localuser:gdm
            > SI:localuser:root
            >
            > So just doing an:
            >
            > $ xhost +root
            >
            > in ~/.bash_profile might just do it too?
            >
            > Erik

            I am not impolite but we are getting out of the focus of this list.
            Please ask this question again on an appropriate list.

            Thilo

            4096R/0xC70B1A8F

          • Kevin O'Gorman
            Message 5 of 11 , May 4, 2012
              On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 9:55 AM, Thilo Six <T.Six@...> wrote:
              > Hello Erik,
              >

              > Excerpt from Erik Christiansen:
              >
              > -- <snip> --
              >> That looks like a neat fix, Thilo.
              >>
              >> But is there a weakness in the OP's access control config?
              >> Here, on my ubuntu 10.04, unaltered and still as OOTB, starting X as
              >> "erik", doing an "su -", then vimming anything which stands still, has
              >> always worked, not least (I figure) because of:
              >>
              >> $ xhost
              >> access control enabled, only authorized clients can connect
              >> SI:localuser:erik
              >> SI:localuser:gdm
              >> SI:localuser:root
              >>
              >> So just doing an:
              >>
              >> $ xhost +root
              >>
              >> in ~/.bash_profile might just do it too?
              >>
              >> Erik
              >
              > I am not impolite but we are getting out of the focus of this list.
              > Please ask this question again on an appropriate list.

              Huh? This was posted to vim_use, and it's about my difficulties using
              vim. It's a permissions problem that seems not to affect anything
              else, so we're talking about permissions and strategies and scriptlets
              to fix my problem using vim.

              I'll bite: where would it be more appropriate?

              --
              Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

            • Tim Chase
              Message 6 of 11 , May 4, 2012
                On 05/04/12 16:08, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
                > On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 9:55 AM, Thilo Six <T.Six@...> wrote:
                >> I am not impolite but we are getting out of the focus of this list.
                >> Please ask this question again on an appropriate list.
                >
                > Huh?

                You have no complaints here...while the underlying cause was mostly
                non-vim related (X permissions for accessing the clipboard as a
                different user), it manifests itself in certain builds of vim and is
                thus appropriate for discussion here. Even if it's only to learn
                the main issue and research it elsewhere. Fortunately, this is a
                generally friendly & knowledgeable mailing list, so hopefully you
                received more than sufficient answer here.

                -tim

              • Erik Christiansen
                Message 7 of 11 , May 4, 2012
                  On 04.05.12 14:08, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
                  > On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 9:55 AM, Thilo Six <T.Six@...> wrote:
                  > > Excerpt from Erik Christiansen:
                  > >
                  > > -- <snip> --
                  > >> That looks like a neat fix, Thilo.
                  > >>
                  > >> But is there a weakness in the OP's access control config?
                  > >> Here, on my ubuntu 10.04, unaltered and still as OOTB, starting X as
                  > >> "erik", doing an "su -", then vimming anything which stands still, has
                  > >> always worked, not least (I figure) because of:
                  > >>
                  > >> $ xhost
                  > >> access control enabled, only authorized clients can connect
                  > >> SI:localuser:erik
                  > >> SI:localuser:gdm
                  > >> SI:localuser:root
                  > >>
                  > >> So just doing an:
                  > >>
                  > >> $ xhost +root
                  > >>
                  > >> in ~/.bash_profile might just do it too?
                  > >>
                  > >> Erik
                  > >
                  > > I am not impolite but we are getting out of the focus of this list.
                  > > Please ask this question again on an appropriate list.
                  >
                  > Huh? This was posted to vim_use, and it's about my difficulties using
                  > vim. It's a permissions problem that seems not to affect anything
                  > else, so we're talking about permissions and strategies and scriptlets
                  > to fix my problem using vim.
                  >
                  > I'll bite: where would it be more appropriate?

                  Hi Kevin,

                  Your difficulties, and the various ways to negate them informed me, and
                  I expect they gave you choice of ways out of strife.

                  Thilo seems to be sorely confused. My post included one passing
                  rhetorical question, as a lead-in to a proposal for another way to avoid
                  your problem, which Thilo himself attempted to solve. It was not asking
                  any real question, but offering vim-related help.

                  Perhaps Thilo can outline why he may try to help, but others may not.

                  Erik

                  --
                  Once it hits the fan, the only rational choice is to sweep it up,
                  package it, and sell it as fertilizer. - Anonymous?

                • Thilo Six
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 5, 2012
                    Hello Kevin,

                    Excerpt from Kevin O'Gorman:

                    -- <snip> --
                    > Huh? This was posted to vim_use, and it's about my difficulties using
                    > vim. It's a permissions problem that seems not to affect anything
                    > else, so we're talking about permissions and strategies and scriptlets
                    > to fix my problem using vim.

                    Which has been answered in several different ways. Choose the solution that fits
                    you best.

                    > I'll bite: where would it be more appropriate?

                    Sorry for creating confusion here. Asking here about error messages that appear
                    along the way when using vim is absolutely fine, even as Tim explained they are
                    caused by underlying mechanisms.

                    The 'we are getting out of the focus of this list' was meant toward a discussion
                    about different ways how to authenticate on a linux system.

                    personal EOT here.
                    Thilo

                    4096R/0xC70B1A8F