Re: motion t} does not work

  • A Loumiotis
    Message 1 of 7 , May 2 5:33 AM
      Thank you for your help John.
      Your example does work.

      I now realize that t{char} is a line motion. I thought (wrongly) it
      was looking for the first matching character to the right or below
      where the cursor is.

      Is there a way to quickly select all text starting from the current
      position of the cursor to the specified character even if the
      specified character is not on the same line?

      For example if the cursor is between d and e on the next two lines

      abc{def
      ghijkl}mn

      I would like to figure out a quick way for Vim to select

      'ef
      ghijkl'

      Thank you,
      Antonis

      On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 2:45 PM, John Beckett <johnb.beckett@...> wrote:
      > A Loumiotis
      >> The motion t{char} does not work when the character I choose is "}".
      >> Does anyone know why?
      >> I use gvim 7.3 on Windows XP.
      >
      > Please spell out what happens and what you expect.
      >
      > Does it work after starting with 'vim -N -u NONE'?
      >
      > On next line, 0vt} correctly selects 'abc{def' on my system:
      > abc{def}ghi
      >
      > John

    • Christian Brabandt
      Message 2 of 7 , May 2 5:48 AM
        On Mi, 02 Mai 2012, A Loumiotis wrote:
        > For example if the cursor is between d and e on the next two lines
        >
        > abc{def
        > ghijkl}mn
        >
        > I would like to figure out a quick way for Vim to select
        >
        > 'ef
        > ghijkl'

        The plugin ft_improved
        does this, unfortunately, it doesn't work with the yankring plugin.

        regards,
        Christian

      • A Loumiotis
        Message 3 of 7 , May 2 6:12 AM
          On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 3:48 PM, Christian Brabandt <cblists@...> wrote:
          > On Mi, 02 Mai 2012, A Loumiotis wrote:
          >> For example if the cursor is between d and e on the next two lines
          >>
          >> abc{def
          >> ghijkl}mn
          >>
          >> I would like to figure out a quick way for Vim to select
          >>
          >> 'ef
          >> ghijkl'
          >
          > The plugin ft_improved
          > does this, unfortunately, it doesn't work with the yankring plugin.
          >
          > regards,
          > Christian

          Thanks Christian. That's exactly what I was looking for!

        • Ben Fritz
          Message 4 of 7 , May 2 7:55 AM
            On Wednesday, May 2, 2012 7:33:15 AM UTC-5, runner wrote:
            > Thank you for your help John.
            > Your example does work.
            >
            > I now realize that t{char} is a line motion. I thought (wrongly) it
            > was looking for the first matching character to the right or below
            > where the cursor is.
            >
            > Is there a way to quickly select all text starting from the current
            > position of the cursor to the specified character even if the
            > specified character is not on the same line?

            Use a / search.

          • Chris Lott
            Message 5 of 7 , May 2 5:27 PM

              Or EasyMotion: http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=3526