motion t} does not work

  • A Loumiotis
    Message 1 of 7 , May 2, 2012

      The motion t{char} does not work when the character I choose is "}".
      Does anyone know why?
      I use gvim 7.3 on Windows XP.

      Thanks,
      Antonis

    • John Beckett
      Message 2 of 7 , May 2, 2012
        A Loumiotis
        > The motion t{char} does not work when the character I choose is "}".
        > Does anyone know why?
        > I use gvim 7.3 on Windows XP.

        Please spell out what happens and what you expect.

        Does it work after starting with 'vim -N -u NONE'?

        On next line, 0vt} correctly selects 'abc{def' on my system:
        abc{def}ghi

        John

      • A Loumiotis
        Message 3 of 7 , May 2, 2012
          Thank you for your help John.
          Your example does work.

          I now realize that t{char} is a line motion. I thought (wrongly) it
          was looking for the first matching character to the right or below
          where the cursor is.

          Is there a way to quickly select all text starting from the current
          position of the cursor to the specified character even if the
          specified character is not on the same line?

          For example if the cursor is between d and e on the next two lines

          abc{def
          ghijkl}mn

          I would like to figure out a quick way for Vim to select

          'ef
          ghijkl'

          Thank you,
          Antonis

          On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 2:45 PM, John Beckett <johnb.beckett@...> wrote:
          > A Loumiotis
          >> The motion t{char} does not work when the character I choose is "}".
          >> Does anyone know why?
          >> I use gvim 7.3 on Windows XP.
          >
          > Please spell out what happens and what you expect.
          >
          > Does it work after starting with 'vim -N -u NONE'?
          >
          > On next line, 0vt} correctly selects 'abc{def' on my system:
          > abc{def}ghi
          >
          > John

        • Christian Brabandt
          Message 4 of 7 , May 2, 2012
            On Mi, 02 Mai 2012, A Loumiotis wrote:
            > For example if the cursor is between d and e on the next two lines
            >
            > abc{def
            > ghijkl}mn
            >
            > I would like to figure out a quick way for Vim to select
            >
            > 'ef
            > ghijkl'

            The plugin ft_improved
            does this, unfortunately, it doesn't work with the yankring plugin.

            regards,
            Christian

          • A Loumiotis
            Message 5 of 7 , May 2, 2012
              On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 3:48 PM, Christian Brabandt <cblists@...> wrote:
              > On Mi, 02 Mai 2012, A Loumiotis wrote:
              >> For example if the cursor is between d and e on the next two lines
              >>
              >> abc{def
              >> ghijkl}mn
              >>
              >> I would like to figure out a quick way for Vim to select
              >>
              >> 'ef
              >> ghijkl'
              >
              > The plugin ft_improved
              > does this, unfortunately, it doesn't work with the yankring plugin.
              >
              > regards,
              > Christian

              Thanks Christian. That's exactly what I was looking for!

            • Ben Fritz
              Message 6 of 7 , May 2, 2012
                On Wednesday, May 2, 2012 7:33:15 AM UTC-5, runner wrote:
                > Thank you for your help John.
                > Your example does work.
                >
                > I now realize that t{char} is a line motion. I thought (wrongly) it
                > was looking for the first matching character to the right or below
                > where the cursor is.
                >
                > Is there a way to quickly select all text starting from the current
                > position of the cursor to the specified character even if the
                > specified character is not on the same line?

                Use a / search.

              • Chris Lott
                Message 7 of 7 , May 2, 2012

                  Or EasyMotion: http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=3526