notice bug in new version of gvim windows.......

  • Linda W
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30 10:51 PM
      When I start gvim with a file name

      Gvim h:\bin\pcalc.pl,
      if I edit another file by name, it references the same directory...

      However, if I use UNC name,
      Gvim \\ishtar\home\linda\bin\pcalc.pl

      to edit the same file, my current directory isn't set correctly.

      I know I used to have my own script to edit files that worked
      in this situation, but I don't know if vim has always been broken this way
      or it is a recent development -- maybe only on the 'x64 version

      (Running vi 7.33 (2010 Aud 15, compiled Mar 25 2012 (with +perl -- though
      it doesn't work with the current version of perl (5.12) as pointed to in the
      email...

      It seems it uses a fixed version number rather than a generic perl.dll....

      Maybe it would be better to use dynamic loading, (like a 'dll') and
      call it perl.dll, (as a pointer to some more specific version ... gee this
      sounds similar ... I know I've seen this scheme before...)...
      but then the loader can cal the dll to find out what functions are
      available or
      what level - and auto work with a variety of versions rather than being
      statically coded to a 'dynamic' library, (!?!talk about missing the
      point!)...

      Oh,,, I remember the scheme...

      but it was slightly different

      libXXX.so =link-> lib.so.X =link->lib.so.X.Y

      I think I remember it from some system that I worked on 20 or more years
      ago... unix or something ...come to think of it... I think some modern
      *nixes have
      similar...linux or something...

      Wow.... Maybe windows could learn about using non-versioned names
      (just like
      linux could learn better about dynamic runtime configuration based on
      available .so's, by using dlopen rather than relying on do-or-die
      initial loads....

      Oh the promise of computers becoming *easier* to use -- instead...
      theyv'e gone in the opposite direction due to industry failure to
      preserve or value institutional knowledge...between generations...