good 256 color theme for C

  • sinbad
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 30 1:23 AM
      I just started using tmux, and i am exploring 256 color option of the
      terminal.
      Is there any good colorscheme that uses theses colors effectively,
      especially
      for C programming ?

      cheers

    • sinbad
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 30 2:55 AM
        On Apr 30, 1:23 pm, sinbad <sinbad.sin...@...> wrote:
        > I just started using tmux, and i am exploring 256 color option of the
        > terminal.
        > Is there any good colorscheme that uses theses colors effectively,
        > especially
        > for C programming ?
        >
        > cheers

        does guibg=#aabbcc, doesn't work in non gvim.
        i am seeing two different behaviors,

        hi Comment ctermfg=cyan guibg=#592929 --> this doesn't work.

        but, it works in the following vimrc command.

        highlight OverLength ctermbg=red ctermfg=white guibg=#592929
        match OverLength /\%81v.*/

        why is this behavior ?

      • John Little
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 30 3:17 AM
          On Monday, April 30, 2012 9:55:16 PM UTC+12, sinbad wrote:
          >I just started using tmux, and i am exploring 256 color option of the terminal.

          Check out the CSApprox.vim plugin.

          "This plugin makes GVim-only colorschemes Just Work in terminal Vim".

          > does guibg=#aabbcc, doesn't work in non gvim.

          Nope, gvim means gui vim.

          > hi Comment ctermfg=cyan guibg=#592929 --> this doesn't work.
          >
          > but, it works in the following vimrc command.
          >
          > highlight OverLength ctermbg=red ctermfg=white guibg=#592929
          > match OverLength /\%81v.*/

          Forgive me if I'm pointing out the obvious, but that highlight has "ctermbg", the first doesn't.

          Regards, John

        • sinbad
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 30 4:14 AM
            On Apr 30, 3:17 pm, John Little <John.B.Lit...@...> wrote:
            > On Monday, April 30, 2012 9:55:16 PM UTC+12, sinbad wrote:
            > >I just started using tmux, and i am exploring 256 color option of the terminal.
            >
            > Check out the CSApprox.vim plugin.http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=2390
            >
            > "This plugin makes GVim-only colorschemes Just Work in terminal Vim".
            >
            > > does guibg=#aabbcc, doesn't work in non gvim.
            >
            > Nope, gvim means gui vim.
            >
            > > hi Comment ctermfg=cyan guibg=#592929 --> this doesn't work.
            >
            > > but, it works in the following vimrc command.
            >
            > > highlight OverLength ctermbg=red ctermfg=white guibg=#592929
            > > match OverLength /\%81v.*/
            >
            > Forgive me if I'm pointing out the obvious, but that highlight has "ctermbg", the first doesn't.
            >
            > Regards, John

            Ok, My terminal supports 256 colors, How can i use all the 256 colors
            in VIM in a non gui terminal.
            Obviously if the terminal supports 256 colors, there should be someway
            of using it in VIM as well ?

          • Christian Brabandt
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 30 4:18 AM
              Hi sinbad!

              On Mo, 30 Apr 2012, sinbad wrote:

              > Ok, My terminal supports 256 colors, How can i use all the 256 colors
              > in VIM in a non gui terminal.
              > Obviously if the terminal supports 256 colors, there should be someway
              > of using it in VIM as well ?

              http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/256_colors_in_vim

              regards,
              Christian
              --
              Wir sind über'n Berg - es geht bergab!

            • Reid Thompson
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 30 5:19 AM
                On Mon, 2012-04-30 at 01:23 -0700, sinbad wrote:
                > I just started using tmux, and i am exploring 256 color option of the
                > terminal.
                > Is there any good colorscheme that uses theses colors effectively,
                > especially
                > for C programming ?
                >
                > cheers

                I use xterm16

              • Chris Jones
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 30 10:13 AM
                  On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 07:18:31AM EDT, Christian Brabandt wrote:
                  > On Mo, 30 Apr 2012, sinbad wrote:

                  > > Ok, My terminal supports 256 colors, How can i use all the 256 colors
                  > > in VIM in a non gui terminal.
                  >
                  > http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/256_colors_in_vim

                  Provided the OP does NOT read the tip and reads Steven Black's comment
                  at the bottom of the page instead :-)

                  CJ

                  --
                  ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US!

                • John Beckett
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 30 5:45 PM
                    Chris Jones wrote:
                    >>> Ok, My terminal supports 256 colors, How can i use all the 256
                    >>> colors in VIM in a non gui terminal.
                    >>
                    >> http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/256_colors_in_vim
                    >
                    > Provided the OP does NOT read the tip and reads Steven
                    > Black's comment at the bottom of the page instead :-)

                    Any chance of someone fixing the tip?

                    If the advice in the body of the tip is not helpful, please just
                    delete it and move what you think is good into the tip body.
                    Don't worry about crediting anyone because all the history is
                    retained and people can see what happened.

                    I can clean up formatting and English, but I'm not much help
                    with some topics, like that tip.

                    People can edit as an IP address, or it's easy to register an
                    account (enter a bogus birthdate indicating you are more than
                    13 years old; Google COPPA if want to know why that's needed).

                    John

                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 30 6:21 PM
                      On 30/04/12 10:23, sinbad wrote:
                      > I just started using tmux, and i am exploring 256 color option of
                      > the terminal. Is there any good colorscheme that uses theses colors
                      > effectively, especially for C programming ?
                      >
                      > cheers

                      For Vim to use 256 colours effectively, you have to make sure that t_Co
                      gets set to 256 when running in a 256-colour terminal, but not when in a
                      terminal with fewer colours (such as the Linux hardware-text console or,
                      I think, the Windows console, at least when in fullscreen mode).

                      necessarily the best) is simply

                      " use 256 colors in Console mode if we think the terminal supports it
                      if &term =~? 'mlterm\|xterm'
                      set t_Co=256
                      endif

                      Then you need a colorscheme which makes use of them. If you are using a
                      GUI-enabled Vim in console mode (which is possible on Linux but not on
                      Windows), you can use the CSApprox plugin, which will "translate" the
                      24-bit (16 million colors) gui= guibg= guifg= guisp= of any GUI-oriented
                      colorscheme into something as near as possible to the same colours on a
                      256- or 88-color terminal. (On a terminal with fewer colours, such as 8
                      bg + 16 fg, it will simply desist and let the cterm= ctermbg= ctermfg=
                      colours remain in force.) This way, if your terminal has 88 or more
                      colours, you'll get approximately the same look and feel as in gvim. I
                      like it but of course YMMV.

                      See also http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Using_GUI_color_settings_in_a_terminal

                      GALAHAD: No. Look, I can tackle this lot single-handed!
                      GIRLS: Yes, yes, let him Tackle us single-handed!
                      PICTURES LTD

                    • Chris Jones
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 2, 2012
                        On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 08:45:51PM EDT, John Beckett wrote:

                        > >> http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/256_colors_in_vim
                        > >
                        > > Provided the OP does NOT read the tip and reads Steven
                        > > Black's comment at the bottom of the page instead :-)
                        >
                        > Any chance of someone fixing the tip?
                        >
                        > If the advice in the body of the tip is not helpful, please just
                        > delete it and move what you think is good into the tip body.
                        > Don't worry about crediting anyone because all the history is
                        > retained and people can see what happened.
                        >
                        > I can clean up formatting and English, but I'm not much help
                        > with some topics, like that tip.
                        >
                        > People can edit as an IP address, or it's easy to register an
                        > account (enter a bogus birthdate indicating you are more than
                        > 13 years old; Google COPPA if want to know why that's needed).

                        Maybe it's best to keep the tip as it is & hang one of this big red
                        warning signs somewhere near the top, informing users that the tip is
                        100% wrong.. under review.. etc. and recommend they page dow & read the
                        comments.

                        CJ

                        --
                        Hi! My name is bobby...