map Ctrl with special characters

  • rameo
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 27, 2012
      I still have problems mapping keys.

      On my keyboard I have these keys I want to map:
      <C-ò>
      <C-à>
      <C-è>
      <C-ù>
      <C-ì>

      Tony once told in a message these info:
      ò = (0xF2, o-grave) and <M-r> (Alt+0x72, Alt-r)
      à = (0xE0, a-grave) and <M-`> (Alt+0x60, Alt-backtick)
      è = (0xE8, e-grave) and <M-h> (Alt+0x68, Alt-h)
      ù = (0xF9, u-grave) and <M-y> (Alt+0x79, Alt-y)
      ì = (0xEC, i-grave) and <M-l> (Alt+0x6C, Alt-l)

      But how to combine these letters to the Ctrl key?

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 27, 2012
        On 27/04/12 17:45, rameo wrote:
        > I still have problems mapping keys.
        >
        > On my keyboard I have these keys I want to map:
        > <C-ò>
        > <C-à>
        > <C-è>
        > <C-ù>
        > <C-ì>
        >
        > Tony once told in a message these info:
        > ò = (0xF2, o-grave) and <M-r> (Alt+0x72, Alt-r)
        > à = (0xE0, a-grave) and <M-`> (Alt+0x60, Alt-backtick)
        > è = (0xE8, e-grave) and <M-h> (Alt+0x68, Alt-h)
        > ù = (0xF9, u-grave) and <M-y> (Alt+0x79, Alt-y)
        > ì = (0xEC, i-grave) and <M-l> (Alt+0x6C, Alt-l)
        >
        > But how to combine these letters to the Ctrl key?

        I'm not sure you can.

        Try hitting Ctrl-K in Insert mode, followed by the desired key
        combination, and see if anything appears. If yes, it is the <> form of
        whatever Vim sees.

        Or try hitting Ctrl-V in Insert mode followed by the key combination.
        Vim will tell you what (if anything) it gets from the keyboard. For
        instance if you hit Ctrl-V Ctrl-è and Vim inserts è it means that it
        can't tell the difference between è and Ctrl-è. If you hit Ctrl-V Ctrl-à
        and Vim doesn't insert anything (and, if 'showcmd' is on, you see that
        ^V doesn't disappear near the bottom right corner of the Vim screen),
        then Vim hasn't got anything from the keyboard interface for your Ctrl-à
        combo.

        The years of peak mental activity are undoubtedly between the ages of
        four and eighteen. At four we know all the questions, at eighteen all
        the answers.

      • rameo
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 28, 2012
          On Friday, April 27, 2012 5:45:15 PM UTC+2, rameo wrote:
          > I still have problems mapping keys.
          >
          > On my keyboard I have these keys I want to map:
          > <C-ò>
          > <C-à>
          > <C-è>
          > <C-ù>
          > <C-ì>
          >
          > Tony once told in a message these info:
          > ò = (0xF2, o-grave) and <M-r> (Alt+0x72, Alt-r)
          > à = (0xE0, a-grave) and <M-`> (Alt+0x60, Alt-backtick)
          > è = (0xE8, e-grave) and <M-h> (Alt+0x68, Alt-h)
          > ù = (0xF9, u-grave) and <M-y> (Alt+0x79, Alt-y)
          > ì = (0xEC, i-grave) and <M-l> (Alt+0x6C, Alt-l)
          >
          > But how to combine these letters to the Ctrl key?

          When I hit Ctrl-K in insert mode followed by Ctrl-ò nothing happened.
          When I hit Ctrl-Q (I have the gvim win version) in insert mode followed by Ctrl-ò again nothing happened.

          Yes ^V (+ ^K) doesn't disappear near the bottom right corner of the Vim screen as you've indicated.

          Does this mean that I can't map these keys with Ctrl?
          I had to use C-Q.

        • Ben Fritz
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 30, 2012
            On Saturday, April 28, 2012 2:39:45 AM UTC-5, rameo wrote:
            > On Friday, April 27, 2012 5:45:15 PM UTC+2, rameo wrote:
            > > I still have problems mapping keys.
            > >
            > > On my keyboard I have these keys I want to map:
            > > <C-ò>
            > > <C-à>
            > > <C-è>
            > > <C-ù>
            > > <C-ì>
            > >
            > > Tony once told in a message these info:
            > > ò = (0xF2, o-grave) and <M-r> (Alt+0x72, Alt-r)
            > > à = (0xE0, a-grave) and <M-`> (Alt+0x60, Alt-backtick)
            > > è = (0xE8, e-grave) and <M-h> (Alt+0x68, Alt-h)
            > > ù = (0xF9, u-grave) and <M-y> (Alt+0x79, Alt-y)
            > > ì = (0xEC, i-grave) and <M-l> (Alt+0x6C, Alt-l)
            > >
            > > But how to combine these letters to the Ctrl key?
            >

            > When I hit Ctrl-K in insert mode followed by Ctrl-ò nothing happened.
            > When I hit Ctrl-Q (I have the gvim win version) in insert mode followed by Ctrl-ò again nothing happened.
            >
            > Yes ^V (+ ^K) doesn't disappear near the bottom right corner of the Vim screen as you've indicated.
            >
            > Does this mean that I can't map these keys with Ctrl?
            > I had to use C-Q.

            Yes, as Tony said, if you press CTRL-V/CTRL-Q in insert mode, followed by your key combination, and nothing happens, then Vim does not even get the key sequence and you cannot map it.