balloonexpr depending on line content

  • Benjamin Fritz
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 13, 2012
      I want to make a balloonexpr which shows something different depending
      on the context of the thing being pointed at.

      I tried to make it depend on the syntax of the item being pointed at,
      and this mostly works. But it breaks when the user has multiple
      windows open, because synID only gets the syntax of the current
      window, and the user might point the mouse at a non-current window.

      I cannot even piece apart the line being pointed at to determine the
      context manually, because getline() only acts on the current buffer,
      which similarly may not be what the user is pointing at.

      balloonexpr has v:beval_winnr and v:beval_bufnr, but switching windows
      or buffers is not allowed, because you can't do anything with "side
      effects". So I'm not sure what good these do.

      Incidentally, the value of v:beval_winnr seems to be a zero-based
      index whereas the actual window number used for Vim commands and
      functions is one-based. E.g. while pointing at the topleftmost window,
      v:beval_winnr is zero. Is this a bug or am I missing something here?