Re: Search a pattern and provide a context (few lines above and below)

  • Zarko Coklin
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 12, 2012
      I actually combined input from both Tim and Ben and came up with a hybrid solution. It uses a global command and redirect lines into a new file and goes like this:

      :redir @* |g/cat/sil! -3,+4 |redir END | redir >> results.txt

      Such solution will find all lines where "cat" is mentioned and copy a block of lines starting from 3 lines above and 4 lines below. The result is placed into a file named "results.txt". I like one liner solutions and this works faster on larger files.