Re: Highlighting :g//

  • Thilo Six
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2 10:57 AM
      Hello Paul,

      Excerpt from Paul:
      > Often I'll want to see a list of lines that contain a pattern. I'll do
      > ':g/pattern/', sometimes followed by # if I want the line numbers. Sometimes
      > I'd like to see where in the line the pattern matched, so, is there a way to
      > have the output of :g// highlight the pattern?

      I recently did the same. What i used was vimgrep, e.g.:
      vimgrep /pat1\|pat2/ % | botright copen:

      The copen part opens up the so called quickfix window. With that you can
      breezingly jump from hit to an other AND get a nice overview of each line that
      has a match at the same time.
      Add a mapping for ':cnext' ':cprev' (aka next and previos match) and you can
      move through the list.

      Thilo

      4096R/0xC70B1A8F

    • Thilo Six
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 2 11:01 AM
        Hello

        Excerpt from Thilo Six:

        > Hello Paul,
        >

        > Excerpt from Paul:
        >> Often I'll want to see a list of lines that contain a pattern. I'll do
        >> ':g/pattern/', sometimes followed by # if I want the line numbers. Sometimes
        >> I'd like to see where in the line the pattern matched, so, is there a way to
        >> have the output of :g// highlight the pattern?
        >
        > I recently did the same. What i used was vimgrep, e.g.:
        > vimgrep /pat1\|pat2/ % | botright copen:
        ^- copy and paste error, no colon there

        > The copen part opens up the so called quickfix window. With that you can
        > breezingly jump from hit to an other AND get a nice overview of each line that
        > has a match at the same time.
        > Add a mapping for ':cnext' ':cprev' (aka next and previos match) and you can
        > move through the list.

        Thilo

        4096R/0xC70B1A8F

      • Paul
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 3 1:50 AM
          On Monday, 02 April, 2012 at 16:54:22 BST, Gary Johnson wrote:
          >> Often I'll want to see a list of lines that contain a pattern.
          >> I'll do ':g/pattern/', sometimes followed by # if I want the line
          >> numbers. Sometimes I'd like to see where in the line the pattern
          >> matched, so, is there a way to have the output of :g// highlight
          >> the pattern?
          >
          >Try Yakov Lerner's PP.vim script,
          >http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/VimTip1141. Use it like this:
          >
          > :g/pattern/PP