Re: :help WITHOUT split screen

  • Francis (Grizzly) Smit
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 2, 2012
      On 02/04/12 23:58, Ben Fritz wrote:
      > On Sunday, April 1, 2012 5:52:39 AM UTC-5, Thilo Six wrote:
      >> Hello Ben
      >>

      >> Excerpt from Ben Fritz:
      >> -- <snip> --
      >>> I would lean toward something like this, were I to want an automatic method:
      >>>
      >>> au bufwinenter *.txt
      >>> \ if&filetype=='help' | wincmd p |
      >>> \ if&filetype!='help' | wincmd p | wincmd T |
      >>> \ else | wincmd p | endif |
      >>> \ endif
      >> How about:
      >> au bufwinenter *.txt
      >> \ if&buftype == "help"
      >> \ | wincmd T
      >> \ | endif
      >>

      > Yes, you could also use&buftype rather than&filetype. But this will never allow you to intentionally split a help window and look up a new topic to see two of them side-by-side. Hence the wincmd p stuff in my suggestion.

      if your using gvim then :tab help cmd will give you the help in a new
      tab no split window

      --

      .~. In my life God comes first....
      /V\ but Linux is pretty high after that :-D

    • Thilo Six
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 2, 2012
        Hello Ben,

        Excerpt from Ben Fritz:

        -- <snip> --
        > Yes, you could also use &buftype rather than &filetype. But this will never
        > allow you to intentionally split a help window and look up a new topic to see
        > two of them side-by-side. Hence the wincmd p stuff in my suggestion.

        Good Point. This version seem to resemble this:

        au bufwinenter *.txt
        \ if &buftype == "help"
        \ | if getwinvar(winnr("#"), '&ft') != 'help'
        \ | wincmd T
        \ | endif
        \ | endif

        Thilo

        4096R/0xC70B1A8F

      • Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 18, 2012
          On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 15:32:59 -0400
          Charles Campbell <Charles.E.Campbell@...> wrote:

          >Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz wrote:
          >> On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 13:17:44 -0400
          >> Charles Campbell<Charles.E.Campbell@...> wrote:
          >>

          >>> Manpageview (see
          >>> http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#MANPAGEVIEW), which
          >>> handles several kinds of help (vim, manpages, perl, php, and
          >>> python), has a TMan command, which provides help in a separate tab.
          >>>
          >> On vim help pages PgUp, PgDn work but on bash man pages and python
          >> help they don't; there I need to scroll using the scroll bars.
          >>
          >I'll have to look into PgUp and PgDn later...

          Did you ever get a chance to look into this?

          --

          Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz, Scotland
          Saor Alba