Re: :help WITHOUT split screen

  • Ben Fritz
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 2, 2012
      On Sunday, April 1, 2012 5:52:39 AM UTC-5, Thilo Six wrote:
      > Hello Ben
      >

      > Excerpt from Ben Fritz:
      > -- <snip> --
      > > I would lean toward something like this, were I to want an automatic method:
      > >
      > > au bufwinenter *.txt
      > > \ if &filetype=='help' | wincmd p |
      > > \ if &filetype!='help' | wincmd p | wincmd T |
      > > \ else | wincmd p | endif |
      > > \ endif
      >
      > How about:
      > au bufwinenter *.txt
      > \ if &buftype == "help"
      > \ | wincmd T
      > \ | endif

      Yes, you could also use &buftype rather than &filetype. But this will never allow you to intentionally split a help window and look up a new topic to see two of them side-by-side. Hence the wincmd p stuff in my suggestion.

    • Francis (Grizzly) Smit
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 2, 2012
        On 02/04/12 23:58, Ben Fritz wrote:
        > On Sunday, April 1, 2012 5:52:39 AM UTC-5, Thilo Six wrote:
        >> Hello Ben
        >>

        >> Excerpt from Ben Fritz:
        >> -- <snip> --
        >>> I would lean toward something like this, were I to want an automatic method:
        >>>
        >>> au bufwinenter *.txt
        >>> \ if&filetype=='help' | wincmd p |
        >>> \ if&filetype!='help' | wincmd p | wincmd T |
        >>> \ else | wincmd p | endif |
        >>> \ endif
        >> How about:
        >> au bufwinenter *.txt
        >> \ if&buftype == "help"
        >> \ | wincmd T
        >> \ | endif
        >>

        > Yes, you could also use&buftype rather than&filetype. But this will never allow you to intentionally split a help window and look up a new topic to see two of them side-by-side. Hence the wincmd p stuff in my suggestion.

        if your using gvim then :tab help cmd will give you the help in a new
        tab no split window

        --

        .~. In my life God comes first....
        /V\ but Linux is pretty high after that :-D

      • Thilo Six
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 2, 2012
          Hello Ben,

          Excerpt from Ben Fritz:

          -- <snip> --
          > Yes, you could also use &buftype rather than &filetype. But this will never
          > allow you to intentionally split a help window and look up a new topic to see
          > two of them side-by-side. Hence the wincmd p stuff in my suggestion.

          Good Point. This version seem to resemble this:

          au bufwinenter *.txt
          \ if &buftype == "help"
          \ | if getwinvar(winnr("#"), '&ft') != 'help'
          \ | wincmd T
          \ | endif
          \ | endif

          Thilo

          4096R/0xC70B1A8F

        • Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz
          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 18, 2012
            On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 15:32:59 -0400
            Charles Campbell <Charles.E.Campbell@...> wrote:

            >Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz wrote:
            >> On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 13:17:44 -0400
            >> Charles Campbell<Charles.E.Campbell@...> wrote:
            >>

            >>> Manpageview (see
            >>> http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#MANPAGEVIEW), which
            >>> handles several kinds of help (vim, manpages, perl, php, and
            >>> python), has a TMan command, which provides help in a separate tab.
            >>>
            >> On vim help pages PgUp, PgDn work but on bash man pages and python
            >> help they don't; there I need to scroll using the scroll bars.
            >>
            >I'll have to look into PgUp and PgDn later...

            Did you ever get a chance to look into this?

            --

            Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz, Scotland
            Saor Alba