Re: :help WITHOUT split screen

  • Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 2, 2012
      On Sun, 01 Apr 2012 21:58:01 -0400
      Charles E Campbell Jr <drchip@...> wrote:

      >I just downloaded v24d myself from my website -- and TMan is there

      ok, got it now. No idea where I went wrong.

      --

      Best Regards,
      Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz, Scotland

    • Ben Fritz
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 2, 2012
        On Sunday, April 1, 2012 5:52:39 AM UTC-5, Thilo Six wrote:
        > Hello Ben
        >

        > Excerpt from Ben Fritz:
        > -- <snip> --
        > > I would lean toward something like this, were I to want an automatic method:
        > >
        > > au bufwinenter *.txt
        > > \ if &filetype=='help' | wincmd p |
        > > \ if &filetype!='help' | wincmd p | wincmd T |
        > > \ else | wincmd p | endif |
        > > \ endif
        >
        > How about:
        > au bufwinenter *.txt
        > \ if &buftype == "help"
        > \ | wincmd T
        > \ | endif

        Yes, you could also use &buftype rather than &filetype. But this will never allow you to intentionally split a help window and look up a new topic to see two of them side-by-side. Hence the wincmd p stuff in my suggestion.

      • Francis (Grizzly) Smit
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 2, 2012
          On 02/04/12 23:58, Ben Fritz wrote:
          > On Sunday, April 1, 2012 5:52:39 AM UTC-5, Thilo Six wrote:
          >> Hello Ben
          >>

          >> Excerpt from Ben Fritz:
          >> -- <snip> --
          >>> I would lean toward something like this, were I to want an automatic method:
          >>>
          >>> au bufwinenter *.txt
          >>> \ if&filetype=='help' | wincmd p |
          >>> \ if&filetype!='help' | wincmd p | wincmd T |
          >>> \ else | wincmd p | endif |
          >>> \ endif
          >> How about:
          >> au bufwinenter *.txt
          >> \ if&buftype == "help"
          >> \ | wincmd T
          >> \ | endif
          >>

          > Yes, you could also use&buftype rather than&filetype. But this will never allow you to intentionally split a help window and look up a new topic to see two of them side-by-side. Hence the wincmd p stuff in my suggestion.

          if your using gvim then :tab help cmd will give you the help in a new
          tab no split window

          --

          .~. In my life God comes first....
          /V\ but Linux is pretty high after that :-D

        • Thilo Six
          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 2, 2012
            Hello Ben,

            Excerpt from Ben Fritz:

            -- <snip> --
            > Yes, you could also use &buftype rather than &filetype. But this will never
            > allow you to intentionally split a help window and look up a new topic to see
            > two of them side-by-side. Hence the wincmd p stuff in my suggestion.

            Good Point. This version seem to resemble this:

            au bufwinenter *.txt
            \ if &buftype == "help"
            \ | if getwinvar(winnr("#"), '&ft') != 'help'
            \ | wincmd T
            \ | endif
            \ | endif

            Thilo

            4096R/0xC70B1A8F

          • Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz
            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 18, 2012
              On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 15:32:59 -0400
              Charles Campbell <Charles.E.Campbell@...> wrote:

              >Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz wrote:
              >> On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 13:17:44 -0400
              >> Charles Campbell<Charles.E.Campbell@...> wrote:
              >>

              >>> Manpageview (see
              >>> http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#MANPAGEVIEW), which
              >>> handles several kinds of help (vim, manpages, perl, php, and
              >>> python), has a TMan command, which provides help in a separate tab.
              >>>
              >> On vim help pages PgUp, PgDn work but on bash man pages and python
              >> help they don't; there I need to scroll using the scroll bars.
              >>
              >I'll have to look into PgUp and PgDn later...

              Did you ever get a chance to look into this?

              --

              Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz, Scotland
              Saor Alba