Re: :help WITHOUT split screen

  • Charles E Campbell Jr
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 1 6:58 PM
      Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz wrote:
      > On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 15:32:59 -0400
      > Charles Campbell<Charles.E.Campbell@...> wrote:
      >

      >> Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz wrote:

      >>> Just installed (v24c).
      >>>
      >>> There doesn't seem to be a TMan though.
      >>>

      >> I've now loaded v24d on my website; its the one with TMan.
      >>

      > I installed v24d but the plugin/manpageviewPlugin.vim is from 16/9/2008
      > and doesn't define TMan. (unless I've done something dumb?)

      Hello!

      I just downloaded v24d myself from my website -- and TMan is there (its
      actually defined as a command in manpageviewPlugin.vim). It worked for
      me when I tested it, too.

      Please check again... (and be sure that you're actually getting v24d,
      it'll say so in manpageview.vim -- perhaps the browser cache is causing
      problems?).

      Regards,
      Chip Campbell

    • Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 2 1:34 AM
        On Sun, 01 Apr 2012 21:58:01 -0400
        Charles E Campbell Jr <drchip@...> wrote:

        >I just downloaded v24d myself from my website -- and TMan is there

        ok, got it now. No idea where I went wrong.

        --

        Best Regards,
        Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz, Scotland

      • Ben Fritz
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 2 6:58 AM
          On Sunday, April 1, 2012 5:52:39 AM UTC-5, Thilo Six wrote:
          > Hello Ben
          >

          > Excerpt from Ben Fritz:
          > -- <snip> --
          > > I would lean toward something like this, were I to want an automatic method:
          > >
          > > au bufwinenter *.txt
          > > \ if &filetype=='help' | wincmd p |
          > > \ if &filetype!='help' | wincmd p | wincmd T |
          > > \ else | wincmd p | endif |
          > > \ endif
          >
          > How about:
          > au bufwinenter *.txt
          > \ if &buftype == "help"
          > \ | wincmd T
          > \ | endif

          Yes, you could also use &buftype rather than &filetype. But this will never allow you to intentionally split a help window and look up a new topic to see two of them side-by-side. Hence the wincmd p stuff in my suggestion.

        • Francis (Grizzly) Smit
          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 2 7:01 AM
            On 02/04/12 23:58, Ben Fritz wrote:
            > On Sunday, April 1, 2012 5:52:39 AM UTC-5, Thilo Six wrote:
            >> Hello Ben
            >>

            >> Excerpt from Ben Fritz:
            >> -- <snip> --
            >>> I would lean toward something like this, were I to want an automatic method:
            >>>
            >>> au bufwinenter *.txt
            >>> \ if&filetype=='help' | wincmd p |
            >>> \ if&filetype!='help' | wincmd p | wincmd T |
            >>> \ else | wincmd p | endif |
            >>> \ endif
            >> How about:
            >> au bufwinenter *.txt
            >> \ if&buftype == "help"
            >> \ | wincmd T
            >> \ | endif
            >>

            > Yes, you could also use&buftype rather than&filetype. But this will never allow you to intentionally split a help window and look up a new topic to see two of them side-by-side. Hence the wincmd p stuff in my suggestion.

            if your using gvim then :tab help cmd will give you the help in a new
            tab no split window

            --

            .~. In my life God comes first....
            /V\ but Linux is pretty high after that :-D

          • Thilo Six
            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 2 10:45 AM
              Hello Ben,

              Excerpt from Ben Fritz:

              -- <snip> --
              > Yes, you could also use &buftype rather than &filetype. But this will never
              > allow you to intentionally split a help window and look up a new topic to see
              > two of them side-by-side. Hence the wincmd p stuff in my suggestion.

              Good Point. This version seem to resemble this:

              au bufwinenter *.txt
              \ if &buftype == "help"
              \ | if getwinvar(winnr("#"), '&ft') != 'help'
              \ | wincmd T
              \ | endif
              \ | endif

              Thilo

              4096R/0xC70B1A8F

            • Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz
              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 18 3:58 AM
                On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 15:32:59 -0400
                Charles Campbell <Charles.E.Campbell@...> wrote:

                >Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz wrote:
                >> On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 13:17:44 -0400
                >> Charles Campbell<Charles.E.Campbell@...> wrote:
                >>

                >>> Manpageview (see
                >>> http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#MANPAGEVIEW), which
                >>> handles several kinds of help (vim, manpages, perl, php, and
                >>> python), has a TMan command, which provides help in a separate tab.
                >>>
                >> On vim help pages PgUp, PgDn work but on bash man pages and python
                >> help they don't; there I need to scroll using the scroll bars.
                >>
                >I'll have to look into PgUp and PgDn later...

                Did you ever get a chance to look into this?

                --

                Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz, Scotland
                Saor Alba