Switch to unicode.

  • john Culleton
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2012
      I am having a problem with Vim line returns being interpreted as
      end of paragraph markers in Scribus. Unicode may solve this
      problem. What string do I need in .vimrc to switch to unicode?

      --
      John Culleton
      Free list of books for self-publishers:

    • Phil Dobbin

      • Gary Johnson
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 1, 2012
          On 2012-04-01, john Culleton wrote:
          > I am having a problem with Vim line returns being interpreted as
          > end of paragraph markers in Scribus. Unicode may solve this
          > problem. What string do I need in .vimrc to switch to unicode?

          To save a file using UTF-8,

          set fenc=utf-8

          See

          :help fenc
          :help 45.3
          :help 45.4

          I don't see how that will help with your problem, though. Vim saves
          end-of-line markers according to the 'fileformat' of the current
          buffer. See

          :help ff

          The characters used for end-of-line markers are all ASCII characters
          and are in the range of characters whose codes are common to all
          character sets (as I understand it) including latin1, ISO-8859-x,
          and UTF-8.

          Changing to UTF-8 is not going to change the way Vim saves
          end-of-line markers.

          Regards,
          Gary