MRU plugin

  • Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 30, 2012

      I have been using this excellent plugin for some time, mainly with
      "Files->Recent Files" in gvim.

      There doesn't seem to be a user option for opening files in new tabs.

      I have looked at the plugin and there are options for newtab/newwin but
      I can't see how to apply this.

      Has anyone tried this?

      --

      Best Regards,
      Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz, Scotland

    • John Beckett
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 30, 2012
        Tarlika wrote:
        > I have been using this excellent plugin for some time, mainly
        > with "Files->Recent Files" in gvim.
        >
        > There doesn't seem to be a user option for opening files in
        > new tabs.

        I don't use the menus in gvim. After entering :MRU
        (or ':MRU pattern' to list paths matching the pattern)
        a list of recently used files opens. In that list,
        press t to open selected file in new tab.

        John

      • Ben Fritz
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 2, 2012
          On Friday, March 30, 2012 5:37:30 PM UTC-5, JohnBeckett wrote:
          > Tarlika wrote:
          > > http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=521
          > > I have been using this excellent plugin for some time, mainly
          > > with "Files->Recent Files" in gvim.
          > >
          > > There doesn't seem to be a user option for opening files in
          > > new tabs.
          >
          > I don't use the menus in gvim. After entering :MRU
          > (or ':MRU pattern' to list paths matching the pattern)
          > a list of recently used files opens. In that list,
          > press t to open selected file in new tab.
          >
          > John

          Unfortunately if there is only one match (e.g. if you use tab completion of the file name), the file opens directly. I've not yet bothered to change the way this works, but it annoys me occasionally.

        • Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 13, 2012
            On Mon, 2 Apr 2012 07:06:15 -0700 (PDT)
            Ben Fritz <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:

            >On Friday, March 30, 2012 5:37:30 PM UTC-5, JohnBeckett wrote:
            >> Tarlika wrote:
            >> > http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=521
            >> > I have been using this excellent plugin for some time, mainly
            >> > with "Files->Recent Files" in gvim.
            >> >
            >> > There doesn't seem to be a user option for opening files in
            >> > new tabs.
            >>
            >> I don't use the menus in gvim. After entering :MRU
            >> (or ':MRU pattern' to list paths matching the pattern)
            >> a list of recently used files opens. In that list,
            >> press t to open selected file in new tab.
            >>
            >> John
            >
            >Unfortunately if there is only one match (e.g. if you use tab
            >completion of the file name), the file opens directly. I've not yet
            >bothered to change the way this works, but it annoys me occasionally.

            John, thanks for introducing me to the :MRU command, which comes in
            handy as using the mouse is currently causing me a lot of pain.

            Ben, I have fixed your problem and my problem.

            What's the procedure for submitting my patch? (never done this before)
            I see the plugin is provided on vim.org and github.

            I can create a login for vim.org and upload the new version but I have
            no idea what the procedure for github is.

            --
            Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz, Scotland
            Saor Alba

          • Ben Fritz
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 13, 2012
              On Friday, April 13, 2012 2:21:55 PM UTC-5, Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz wrote:
              > On Mon, 2 Apr 2012 07:06:15 -0700 (PDT)
              > Ben Fritz wrote:
              > >
              > >Unfortunately if there is only one match (e.g. if you use tab
              > >completion of the file name), the file opens directly. I've not yet
              > >bothered to change the way this works, but it annoys me occasionally.
              >
              > Ben, I have fixed your problem and my problem.
              >
              > What's the procedure for submitting my patch? (never done this before)
              > I see the plugin is provided on vim.org and github.
              >
              > I can create a login for vim.org and upload the new version but I have
              > no idea what the procedure for github is.

              Look up the email address of the script author, Yegappan, by following the vim.org link to his user profile. Send any updates via email, unless there are other instructions on the script page.

              Note, I'm pretty sure the "if there's only one match, open it" behavior is intentional; however it would be nice to have a way to open in a new tab or window even if there's only one match. Maybe adding an :MRU! command (with the bang) could force the window to open even if there's only one match.

            • Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 13, 2012
                On Fri, 13 Apr 2012 13:39:37 -0700 (PDT)
                Ben Fritz <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:

                >On Friday, April 13, 2012 2:21:55 PM UTC-5, Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz
                >wrote:
                >> On Mon, 2 Apr 2012 07:06:15 -0700 (PDT)
                >> Ben Fritz wrote:
                >> >
                >> >Unfortunately if there is only one match (e.g. if you use tab
                >> >completion of the file name), the file opens directly. I've not yet
                >> >bothered to change the way this works, but it annoys me
                >> >occasionally.
                >>
                >> Ben, I have fixed your problem and my problem.
                >>
                >Note, I'm pretty sure the "if there's only one match, open it"
                >behavior is intentional;

                Yes, I appreciate that. Any upgrades would have to be backwards
                compatible with present behaviour.

                > however it would be nice to have a way to
                >open in a new tab or window even if there's only one match. Maybe
                >adding an :MRU! command (with the bang) could force the window to open
                >even if there's only one match.

                It's a bit late on a Friday night. Will follow up later.

                --

                Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz, Scotland
                Saor Alba

              • Yegappan Lakshmanan
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 13, 2012

                  I have updated the MRU plugin and added the following features:

                  * Support for opening files always in tabs (MRU_Open_File_Use_Tabs option)
                  * Support for opening the MRU window always even for single filename matches (MRU_Window_Open_Always)
                  * Support for opening files in vertically split windows.

                  To open a file from the MRU list always in a tab, you can now set the MRU_Open_File_Use_Tabs
                  variable to 1 in your .vimrc file. To open the MRU window even for single matched filename, you can
                  set the MRU_Window_Open_Always variable to 1.

                  I am attaching the updated plugin to this e-mail. Let me know if you see any problems with it.
                  I will shortly upload this to the Vim online site.

                  - Yegappan

                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 14, 2012
                    On Fri, 13 Apr 2012 16:36:08 -0700 (PDT)
                    Yegappan Lakshmanan <yegappan@...> wrote:

                    >>________________________________

                    Yegappan,
                    This is great! It will save dozens of tabopen keystrokes a day!

                    The only bit I hate is the way you changed the display of the :MRU
                    window: filename with full in brackets. I find this works ok in
                    File->Recent but in the :MRU window I can't easi;y see what I'm looking
                    for.

                    For now, I have changed it back:

                    " let output = map(m, 'fnamemodify(v:val, ":t") . " (" . v:val . ")"')
                    " XXX silent! 0put =output
                    silent! 0put =m " XXX

                    When I modified the plugin, I also created an additional :mru
                    command to avoid the shift or is there a reason for having caps?

                    --

                    Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz, Scotland
                    Saor Alba

                  • Michael Ludwig
                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 14, 2012
                      Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz schrieb am 14.04.2012 um 12:03 (+0100):

                      > When I modified the plugin, I also created an additional :mru
                      > command to avoid the shift or is there a reason for having caps?

                      I think it's by convention to avoid collisions with built-ins.

                      Note that :Mru is already there, maybe that's convenient enough.

                      Michael

                    • Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz
                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 14, 2012
                        On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 14:08:21 +0200
                        Michael Ludwig <milu71@...> wrote:

                        >Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz schrieb am 14.04.2012 um 12:03 (+0100):
                        >
                        >> When I modified the plugin, I also created an additional :mru
                        >> command to avoid the shift or is there a reason for having caps?
                        >
                        >I think it's by convention to avoid collisions with built-ins.

                        I suspected as much but didn't think there was a :mru

                        >Note that :Mru is already there, maybe that's convenient enough.

                        If you use : and you're already pressing shift it is.

                        I use a spacebar and prefer all lowercase. Not a problem - it can be
                        done in .vimrc.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 14, 2012
                          Michael Ludwig schrieb am 14.04.2012 um 14:08 (+0200):
                          > Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz schrieb am 14.04.2012 um 12:03 (+0100):
                          >
                          > > When I modified the plugin, I also created an additional :mru
                          > > command to avoid the shift or is there a reason for having caps?
                          >
                          > I think it's by convention to avoid collisions with built-ins.

                          Just found the doc place by accident:

                          :help user-functions

                          The function name must start with an uppercase letter, to
                          avoid confusion with builtin functions. To prevent from using
                          the same name in different scripts avoid obvious, short names.
                          A good habit is to start the function name with the name of
                          the script, e.g., "HTMLcolor()".

                          Michael

                        • Yegappan Lakshmanan
                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 14, 2012

                            > not yet

                            >> Hi,
                            >>
                            >> I have updated the MRU plugin and added the following features:
                            >>
                            >> * Support for opening files always in tabs (MRU_Open_File_Use_Tabs
                            >> option)
                            >> * Support for opening the MRU window always even for single filename
                            >> matches (MRU_Window_Open_Always)
                            >> * Support for opening files in vertically split windows.
                            >>
                            >> To open a file from the MRU list always in a tab, you can now set the
                            >> MRU_Open_File_Use_Tabs variable to 1 in your .vimrc file. To open the
                            >> MRU window even for single matched filename, you can
                            >>
                            >> set the MRU_Window_Open_Always variable to 1.
                            >>

                            >> I am attaching the updated plugin to this e-mail. Let me know if you
                            >> see any problems with it. I will shortly upload this to the Vim online
                            >> site.
                            >>
                            >> - Yegappan
                            >>

                            > Yegappan,
                            > This is great! It will save dozens of tabopen keystrokes a day!
                            >
                            > The only bit I hate is the way you changed the display of the :MRU
                            > window: filename with full in brackets. I find this works ok in
                            > File->Recent but in the :MRU window I can't easi;y see what I'm
                            > looking for.

                            Several MRU plugin users reported that it is hard to see the name of the file
                            when using very long path names. In my day-to-day use, I found that having

                            the file name at the beginning of the line in the MRU window helps.

                            > For now, I have changed it back:
                            >
                            > " let  output = map(m, 'fnamemodify(v:val, ":t") . "
                            > (" . v:val . ")"')
                            > " XXX silent! 0put =output
                            > silent! 0put =m " XXX
                            >
                            > When I modified the plugin, I also created an additional :mru
                            > command to avoid the shift or is there a reason for having caps?

                            User defined command names must start with an upper case letter.
                            You can try using the ":Mru" command.

                            - Yegappan

                          • Evan LeCompte
                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 14, 2012
                              On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 3:22 PM, Yegappan Lakshmanan <yegappan@...> wrote:
                              Hi,

                              > not yet

                              >> Hi,
                              >>
                              >> I have updated the MRU plugin and added the following features:
                              >>
                              >> * Support for opening files always in tabs (MRU_Open_File_Use_Tabs
                              >> option)
                              >> * Support for opening the MRU window always even for single filename
                              >> matches (MRU_Window_Open_Always)
                              >> * Support for opening files in vertically split windows.
                              >>
                              >> To open a file from the MRU list always in a tab, you can now set the
                              >> MRU_Open_File_Use_Tabs variable to 1 in your .vimrc file. To open the
                              >> MRU window even for single matched filename, you can
                              >>
                              >> set the MRU_Window_Open_Always variable to 1.
                              >>

                              >> I am attaching the updated plugin to this e-mail. Let me know if you
                              >> see any problems with it. I will shortly upload this to the Vim online
                              >> site.
                              >>
                              >> - Yegappan
                              >>

                              > Yegappan,
                              > This is great! It will save dozens of tabopen keystrokes a day!
                              >
                              > The only bit I hate is the way you changed the display of the :MRU
                              > window: filename with full in brackets. I find this works ok in
                              > File->Recent but in the :MRU window I can't easi;y see what I'm
                              > looking for.

                              Several MRU plugin users reported that it is hard to see the name of the file
                              when using very long path names. In my day-to-day use, I found that having

                              the file name at the beginning of the line in the MRU window helps.

                              > For now, I have changed it back:
                              >
                              > " let  output = map(m, 'fnamemodify(v:val, ":t") . "
                              > (" . v:val . ")"')
                              > " XXX silent! 0put =output
                              > silent! 0put =m " XXX
                              >
                              > When I modified the plugin, I also created an additional :mru
                              > command to avoid the shift or is there a reason for having caps?

                              User defined command names must start with an upper case letter.
                              You can try using the ":Mru" command.

                              - Yegappan

                              Hmm... this is all good fixes for MRU plugin, I like it very much.

                              One thing I always wanted was ability to "Toggle" the :MRU window on/off , so that a single keybind (I use F12 currently to open :MRU list) could be pressed again to close the MRU window if what I needed wasn't found in the mru window (this happens fairly often), requiring me to close the mru window manually with :q .. which is tedious...I like nerdtree's ability to toggle on/off...anyways sorry if I'm OT but just a thought..

                            • Yegappan Lakshmanan
                              Message 14 of 17 , Apr 15, 2012

                                You can add  the following code to your .vimrc file. You can press <F7> to
                                toggle the MRU window.

                                Note that you can use the tab completion support to the :Mru command to
                                open the matching file from the MRU list. You don't have to open the

                                MRU window.

                                - Yegappan

                                function! s:Mru_Window_Toggle()
                                    let wnum = bufwinnr('__MRU_Files__')

                                    " Open or jump to the MRU window
                                    MRU

                                    if wnum != -1
                                " MRU window was already open. Close it
                                close
                                    endif
                                endfunction

                                nnoremap <silent> <F7> :call <SID>Mru_Window_Toggle()<CR>

                              • Paul
                                Message 15 of 17 , Apr 17, 2012
                                  > The only bit I hate is the way you changed the display of the :MRU
                                  > window: filename with full in brackets. I find this works ok in
                                  > File->Recent but in the :MRU window I can't easi;y see what I'm looking
                                  > for.
                                  >
                                  > For now, I have changed it back:
                                  >
                                  > " let output = map(m, 'fnamemodify(v:val, ":t") . "
                                  > (" . v:val . ")"')
                                  > " XXX silent! 0put =output
                                  > silent! 0put =m " XXX

                                  I, too, don't like this change, so changed it back. Maybe it would be better implemented as an option. Incidentally, I didn't see the two new options documented with the others in mru.vim...

                                  --

                                  .

                                • Ben Fritz
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Apr 17, 2012
                                    On Tuesday, April 17, 2012 7:50:29 AM UTC-5, Jan wrote:
                                    > > The only bit I hate is the way you changed the display of the :MRU
                                    > > window: filename with full in brackets. I find this works ok in
                                    > > File->Recent but in the :MRU window I can't easi;y see what I'm looking
                                    > > for.
                                    > >

                                    > I, too, don't like this change, so changed it back. Maybe it would be better implemented as an option. Incidentally, I didn't see the two new options documented with the others in mru.vim...

                                    It will take some getting used to, but I think I'm going to like it. When I use MRU, I'm mostly interested in the file name, as in "edit the most recent file I had with this name, wherever it was that I put it because I can't be bothered to type or even remember a full path right now". The full path is just distracting at first, although if I have multiple files with similar enough names obviously I need to figure out which is the right one.

                                  • Michael Ludwig
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Apr 17, 2012
                                      Ben Fritz schrieb am 17.04.2012 um 07:40 (-0700):
                                      > On Tuesday, April 17, 2012 7:50:29 AM UTC-5, Jan wrote:
                                      > > > The only bit I hate is the way you changed the display of the :MRU
                                      > > > window: filename with full in brackets.

                                      > > I, too, don't like this change, so changed it back. Maybe it would
                                      > > be better implemented as an option.

                                      > It will take some getting used to, but I think I'm going to like it.

                                      To make the score equal: I like it, too, for exactly the reasons Ben
                                      listed [snipped].

                                      Maybe best implemented as an option, as Jan suggested. Great plugin,
                                      by the way - thanks, Yegappan.

                                      Michael