No `oldfiles' in redhat vim 7.0.237.

  • howard Schwartz
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 8, 2012
      I find the :oldfiles or :browse oldfiles command to be quite simple and
      convenient. It works as advertised on my
      7.3 version of vim in windows xp. However, with my 7.0.237 version of vim
      running on redhat linux, the command does not work and I get the error message

      E492: Not an editor command: oldfiles

      I have the runtime directories/files and the runtimepath and so on correctly
      defined and present. As I recall, oldfiles was a patch for vim 7 briefly
      discussed as present and then abandoned in 2008 by Bram. If so, it would be
      part of the code itself and would not require some or more plugins or extra
      runtime scripts. Do not know the history of how this command got eventually
      implemented.

      What might prevent oldfiles from working in vim, within my redhat
      installation? (yes, I ran vim -u NONE but still no oldfiles).

      While Im on this topic: Any recommendations for a simple file manager that
      lists files for directories, recently edited files (like oldfiles), and
      current files in tabs and/or buffers? I never cared much for hierarchial
      directory displayed, in any OS (e.g., nerdtree, vimexplorer)

    • Dominique Pellé
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 8, 2012
        howard Schwartz wrote:

        > I find the :oldfiles or :browse oldfiles command to be quite simple and
        > convenient. It works as advertised on my 7.3 version of vim in windows xp.
        > However, with my 7.0.237 version of vim running on redhat linux, the command
        > does not work and I get the error message
        >
        > E492: Not an editor command: oldfiles

        Hi Howard

        According to ":help version-7.3", the ":oldfiles" command was added
        in this patch:

        Patch 7.2.031
        Problem: Information in the viminfo file about previously edited files is
        not available to the user. There is no way to get a complete list
        of files edited in previous Vim sessions.
        Solution: Add v:oldfiles and fill it with the list of old file names when
        first reading the viminfo file. Add the ":oldfiles" command,
        ":browse oldfiles" and the "#<123" special file name. Increase
        the default value for 'viminfo' from '20 to '100.

        So what you observe is expected.

        Your Vim-7.0.237 version is very old (05/01/2007).
        Why not recompile the latest from sources
        checked-out with Mercurial?

        -- Dominique

      • Ben Fritz
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 8, 2012
          On Thursday, March 8, 2012 12:59:16 PM UTC-6, howardb21 wrote:
          > I find the :oldfiles or :browse oldfiles command to be quite simple and
          > convenient. It works as advertised on my
          > 7.3 version of vim in windows xp. However, with my 7.0.237 version of vim
          > running on redhat linux, the command does not work and I get the error message
          >
          > E492: Not an editor command: oldfiles

          :oldfiles was added in version 7.2.031, quite some time after 7.0.237 was released. You will need to upgrade to a more recent version of Vim to get this feature.

        • howard Schwartz
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 8, 2012
            On Thu, 8 Mar 2012, Ben Fritz wrote:
            > :oldfiles was added in version 7.2.031, quite some time after 7.0.237 was
            > :released. You will need to upgrade to a more recent version of Vim to get
            > :this feature.

            Interesting that my 7.0 help files include a description of this feature! I
            have read a description of it being first added as a `tentative patch' in
            version 7 that had a bug, and then withdrawn - only to be reintroduced later, apparently.

            I could always write a brute force script using, for instance, awk, that
            grepped out the filenames from viminfo and offerred them in vim with a prompt.
            Might run a bit slow, however.

          • sc
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 8, 2012
              On Thu, Mar 08, 2012 at 12:11:34PM -0800, howard Schwartz wrote:

              > On Thu, 8 Mar 2012, Ben Fritz wrote:
              > >:oldfiles was added in version 7.2.031, quite some time after
              > >7.0.237 was :released. You will need to upgrade to a more recent
              > >version of Vim to get :this feature.

              > Interesting that my 7.0 help files include a description of this
              > feature! I have read a description of it being first added as a
              > `tentative patch' in
              > version 7 that had a bug, and then withdrawn - only to be reintroduced later, apparently.

              it sounds as if your runtime files (which include the help
              modules) are newer than your vim

              > I could always write a brute force script using, for instance, awk, that
              > grepped out the filenames from viminfo and offerred them in vim with a prompt.
              > Might run a bit slow, however.

              simpler would be to download source and build your own current
              vim -- benefits from that would include runtime files that match
              the executable, many bugfixes and new features

              sc

            • Christian Brabandt
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 9, 2012
                Hi howard!

                On Do, 08 Mär 2012, howard Schwartz wrote:

                > On Thu, 8 Mar 2012, Ben Fritz wrote:
                > >:oldfiles was added in version 7.2.031, quite some time after
                > >7.0.237 was :released. You will need to upgrade to a more recent
                > >version of Vim to get :this feature.
                >

                > Interesting that my 7.0 help files include a description of this
                > feature! I have read a description of it being first added as a
                > `tentative patch' in
                > version 7 that had a bug, and then withdrawn - only to be reintroduced later, apparently.
                >
                > I could always write a brute force script using, for instance, awk, that
                > grepped out the filenames from viminfo and offerred them in vim with a prompt.

                I think before the oldfiles patch, that information wasn't available in
                your .viminfo

                regards,
                Christian

              • David Ohlemacher
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 9, 2012
                  Hi Howard,

                  Make
                  sure you're running the right vim on RH.   My instance of RHEL5 has a few version installed:
                  - vi
                  - vim
                  - vimx (the one you probably want)