Re: Dr Chip

  • Charles E Campbell Jr
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 3, 2012
      Benjamin R. Haskell wrote:
      > On Fri, 2 Mar 2012, Kartik Agaram wrote:
      >
      >> Holy crap, I just realized that Dr Chip's vim page is gone.
      >>
      >> http://mysite.verizon.net/astronaut/vim
      >> http://drchip.0sites.net/astronaut/vim
      >>
      >> Has anyone else noticed this? Is it moved somewhere new?
      >
      > Dr. Chip (Charles Campbell) posted on this list about the situation
      > back in August:
      >
      > https://groups.google.com/d/topic/vim_use/OKue3zK9p3s/discussion
      >
      > There wasn't a resolution on-list, but I'm sure the site hasn't just
      > vanished entirely.

      Its a "new situation" -- I'd moved the website to drchip.0sites.net --
      but the new website host has apparently decided to fold. There was no
      warning that the website was going down, although some ftp access to
      grab stuff is still present for a couple of weeks. The website as
      hosted is really a mirror, anyway, of what I have on my own computer.

      So, I'm (again) in a process of finding a new webhost. Unfortunately,
      unlike before, I won't be able to put in redirects (well, I suppose I
      could, but they wouldn't be allowed to work).

      I'll be sending out a note when I get a new host.

      Regards,
      Chip Campbell

    • sc
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 3, 2012
        On Sat, Mar 03, 2012 at 01:27:10PM -0500, Charles E Campbell Jr wrote:
        > Benjamin R. Haskell wrote:
        > >On Fri, 2 Mar 2012, Kartik Agaram wrote:
        > >
        > >>Holy crap, I just realized that Dr Chip's vim page is gone.
        > >>
        > >>http://mysite.verizon.net/astronaut/vim
        > >>http://drchip.0sites.net/astronaut/vim
        > >>
        > >>Has anyone else noticed this? Is it moved somewhere new?
        > >
        > >Dr. Chip (Charles Campbell) posted on this list about the
        > >situation back in August:
        > >
        > >https://groups.google.com/d/topic/vim_use/OKue3zK9p3s/discussion
        > >
        > >There wasn't a resolution on-list, but I'm sure the site hasn't
        > >just vanished entirely.
        > >
        > Its a "new situation" -- I'd moved the website to drchip.0sites.net
        > -- but the new website host has apparently decided to fold. There
        > was no warning that the website was going down, although some ftp
        > access to grab stuff is still present for a couple of weeks. The
        > website as hosted is really a mirror, anyway, of what I have on my
        > own computer.

        > So, I'm (again) in a process of finding a new webhost.
        > Unfortunately, unlike before, I won't be able to put in redirects
        > (well, I suppose I could, but they wouldn't be allowed to work).

        have you checked out github? if you put an index.html there
        it'll be visible to the world -- i have yet to see a downside to
        using it -- it's where i moved when my isp stopped web hosting

        ( http://toothpik.github.com ) -- layman's html but i had
        fun creating it

        dang i just looked and i have lots of stuff out of date there --
        i better do some updates...

      • Phil Dobbin

          On 03/03/2012 20:52, sc wrote:
          > On Sat, Mar 03, 2012 at 01:27:10PM -0500, Charles E Campbell Jr wrote:
          >> Benjamin R. Haskell wrote:

          >>> Dr. Chip (Charles Campbell) posted on this list about the
          >>> situation back in August:
          >>>
          >>> https://groups.google.com/d/topic/vim_use/OKue3zK9p3s/discussion
          >>>
          >>> There wasn't a resolution on-list, but I'm sure the site hasn't
          >>> just vanished entirely.
          >>>
          >> Its a "new situation" -- I'd moved the website to drchip.0sites.net
          >> -- but the new website host has apparently decided to fold. There
          >> was no warning that the website was going down, although some ftp
          >> access to grab stuff is still present for a couple of weeks. The
          >> website as hosted is really a mirror, anyway, of what I have on my
          >> own computer.
          >
          >> So, I'm (again) in a process of finding a new webhost.
          >> Unfortunately, unlike before, I won't be able to put in redirects
          >> (well, I suppose I could, but they wouldn't be allowed to work).
          >
          > have you checked out github? if you put an index.html there
          > it'll be visible to the world -- i have yet to see a downside to
          > using it -- it's where i moved when my isp stopped web hosting
          >
          > ( http://toothpik.github.com ) -- layman's html but i had
          > fun creating it
          >
          > dang i just looked and i have lots of stuff out of date there --
          > i better do some updates...

          Or alternatively there are good deals to be had with a VPS nowadays if
          you want complete root access to a box (configure your own mail server &
          so forth) at realistically nearly the same price as shared hosting. I
          personally use 6sync & find them great. I do not have any affiliation
          with them or benefit from any referral to them either... just so you
          know ;-)

          Cheers,

          Phil.

          - --
          But masters, remember that I am an ass.
          Though it be not written down,
          yet forget not that I am an ass.

        • Tim Chase
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 3, 2012
            On 03/03/12 18:39, Phil Dobbin wrote:
            > Or alternatively there are good deals to be had with a VPS
            > nowadays if you want complete root access to a box (configure
            > your own mail server& so forth) at realistically nearly the
            > same price as shared hosting. I personally use 6sync& find
            > them great.

            Getting a VPS is still pretty pricey. The best I've been able to
            find for a lowest-end VPS is about $15-20/mo (both your suggested
            6sync and Linode fall into this category). For shared hosting,
            I've seen it as low as free (I wouldn't trust anything valuable
            to such a site as they often inject things into the output or
            reliability is an issue), frequently hovering around $3/mo for
            the lowest, $5/mo for what I'd consider reasonable reliability.
            That's a 3-5x price factor.

            If all your site is static (like I seem to recall Dr. Chip's
            pages were), using something like github is a pretty tempting
            proposition: stable, free, easy interface, and easy way to share
            and gather updates.

            -tim

          • Phil Dobbin

              On 04/03/2012 01:04, Tim Chase wrote:
              > On 03/03/12 18:39, Phil Dobbin wrote:
              >> Or alternatively there are good deals to be had with a VPS
              >> nowadays if you want complete root access to a box (configure
              >> your own mail server& so forth) at realistically nearly the
              >> same price as shared hosting. I personally use 6sync& find
              >> them great.
              >
              > Getting a VPS is still pretty pricey. The best I've been able to find
              > for a lowest-end VPS is about $15-20/mo (both your suggested 6sync and
              > Linode fall into this category). For shared hosting, I've seen it as
              > low as free (I wouldn't trust anything valuable to such a site as they
              > often inject things into the output or reliability is an issue),
              > frequently hovering around $3/mo for the lowest, $5/mo for what I'd
              > consider reasonable reliability. That's a 3-5x price factor.
              >
              > If all your site is static (like I seem to recall Dr. Chip's pages
              > were), using something like github is a pretty tempting proposition:
              > stable, free, easy interface, and easy way to share and gather updates.

              yeah, 6sync works out at around £110 p.a. for me whereas a good reliable
              shared web host is about £75 p.a. (includes five domains, MySQL, Perl,
              PHP, Ruby, etc). Bottom line is to me the VPS is about £2 a week. Spend
              more on tea bags/cat food/toilet paper (sorry all my prices are GBP).

              Cheers,

              Phil...

              - --
              But masters, remember that I am an ass.
              Though it be not written down,
              yet forget not that I am an ass.

            • George V. Reilly
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 3, 2012

                There's also http://sites.google.com. But getting all of those plugins under version control at GitHub would be a good idea.
                --
                /George V. Reilly  george@...  Twitter: @georgevreilly
                http://www.georgevreilly.com/blog  http://blogs.cozi.com/tech

              • Kartik Agaram
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 3, 2012
                  > There's also http://sites.google.com But getting all of those plugins under
                  > version control at GitHub would be a good idea.

                  Gahd, I can't recommend Google sites. The UI is clunky, it's easy to
                  find breakage, and you never know how long it will take to be fixed.
                  Sites is not a Google priority, and it shows.

                • Michael Ludwig
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 4, 2012
                    Charles E Campbell Jr schrieb am 03.03.2012 um 13:27 (-0500):

                    > So, I'm (again) in a process of finding a new webhost.

                    Another option, if you don't mind installing DropBox:

                    http://droppages.com/

                    --
                    Michael Ludwig

                  • Dotan Cohen
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 4, 2012
                      On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 20:27, Charles E Campbell Jr
                      <drchip@...> wrote:
                      > Its a "new situation" -- I'd moved the website to drchip.0sites.net -- but
                      > the new website host has apparently decided to fold.  There was no warning
                      > that the website was going down, although some ftp access to grab stuff is
                      > still present for a couple of weeks.  The website as hosted is really a
                      > mirror, anyway, of what I have on my own computer.
                      >
                      > So, I'm (again) in a process of finding a new webhost.  Unfortunately,
                      >  unlike before, I won't be able to put in redirects (well, I suppose I
                      > could, but they wouldn't be allowed to work).
                      >
                      > I'll be sending out a note when I get a new host.
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      > Chip Campbell

                      Hi Chip. If you just need to put up a few pages the I would be
                      honoured to host them on dotancohen.com. Of course they would be cited
                      as _your_ work and there will never be an advertisement put there.
                      Unfortunately I cannot give to you FTP / SSH access but you can always
                      email to me the occasional edit.

                      Let me know, it would be an honour to help. Thanks!

                      --
                      Dotan Cohen

                      http://gibberish.co.il
                      http://what-is-what.com

                    • Gary Johnson
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 4, 2012
                        On 2012-03-03, Charles E Campbell Jr wrote:
                        > Benjamin R. Haskell wrote:
                        > >On Fri, 2 Mar 2012, Kartik Agaram wrote:
                        > >
                        > >>Holy crap, I just realized that Dr Chip's vim page is gone.
                        > >>
                        > >>http://mysite.verizon.net/astronaut/vim
                        > >>http://drchip.0sites.net/astronaut/vim
                        > >>
                        > >>Has anyone else noticed this? Is it moved somewhere new?
                        > >
                        > >Dr. Chip (Charles Campbell) posted on this list about the situation
                        > >back in August:
                        > >
                        > >https://groups.google.com/d/topic/vim_use/OKue3zK9p3s/discussion
                        > >
                        > >There wasn't a resolution on-list, but I'm sure the site hasn't
                        > >just vanished entirely.
                        > >
                        > Its a "new situation" -- I'd moved the website to drchip.0sites.net
                        > -- but the new website host has apparently decided to fold. There
                        > was no warning that the website was going down, although some ftp
                        > access to grab stuff is still present for a couple of weeks. The
                        > website as hosted is really a mirror, anyway, of what I have on my
                        > own computer.
                        >
                        > So, I'm (again) in a process of finding a new webhost.
                        > Unfortunately, unlike before, I won't be able to put in redirects
                        > (well, I suppose I could, but they wouldn't be allowed to work).

                        You might check out SDF Public Access UNIX System, sdf.org. They
                        offer a basic account for free, more features for a lifetime
                        membership fee of $36, and even more features for an annual
                        membership fee of $36. They've been around since 1987, so you won't
                        be a victim of the business model du jour.

                        I haven't been with them for very long and have used my account
                        primarily for ssh tunnelling. I don't have any personal experience
                        with hosting web pages there.

                        Regards,
                        Gary