Re: how to change tab and shiftwidth behaviour depending on file type.

  • Shawn Bright
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2012
      thanks very much on this. will give it a shot

      sk

      On 2012-03-01, Taylor Hedberg wrote:
      > skrite, Thu 2012-03-01 @ 08:15:12-0800:
      > > i do a lot of work in python and a lot in ruby, html, and javascript.
      > > What i would like is for all my python files to behave with 1 tab = 4
      > > spaces, with the correct indent, etc.. But on the ruby,html,and
      > > javascript, i need only 2 spaces.
      > >
      > > In both cases, i need the tabs converted to spaces.
      > >
      > > how would i set something like this up?
      >
      > Write a script that sets the options as you want them for a particular
      > filetype, then save it as ~/.vim/ftplugin/python.vim,
      > ~/.vim/ftplugin/ruby.vim, etc.

      If you do that, any settings you make may be overwritten by settings
      made in the standard ftplugins in $VIMRUNTIME/ftplugin.  A better
      place for your scripts is in ~/.vim/after/ftplugin.  As the name
      implies, those scripts will be sourced after all the others, so any
      settings made in those scripts will be made last.

      > See also: `:help ftplugin`.

      and

         :help after-directory

      Regards,