Re: Vim for LaTeX

  • David Sanson
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 29, 2012
      Take a look at https://github.com/vim-pandoc/vim-pandoc and https://github.com/juhasz/mmd_vim.

      You might also be interested in https://launchpad.net/vim-latex-box, an alternative to vim-latex.

      -David

    • Eric Weir
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 29, 2012

        On Feb 29, 2012, at 3:41 AM, David Sanson wrote:

        Take a look at https://github.com/vim-pandoc/vim-pandoc and https://github.com/juhasz/mmd_vim.

        You might also be interested in https://launchpad.net/vim-latex-box, an alternative to vim-latex.

        Thanks, David. I'll check them out. Especially intrigued by the mmd-vim link.

        Eric Weir

        "Every moment is unique and discrete."

        Eknath Eswaran

      • Eric Weir
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 29, 2012

          On Feb 29, 2012, at 3:41 AM, David Sanson wrote:

          Take a look at https://github.com/vim-pandoc/vim-pandoc and https://github.com/juhasz/mmd_vim.

          Ah, see that you're one of the maintainers of vim-pandoc. Being familiar with mmd I'm vaguely familiar with pandoc. Your plugin is pretty impressive, at least judging from the documentation.

          My reason for being interested in mmd is {1] I'm not a programmer, [2] I compose in and manage larger writing projects with Scrivener, which provides for export to latex via mmd, [3] I'm primarily interested in being able to use latex to format and print/publish short documents composed in vim.

          Thanks again for the links, and I'll keep vim-pandoc in mind. [There is no documentation for mmd_vim.]

          Sincerely,
          Eric Weir

          "Uncertainty is an uncomfortable position,
          but certainty is an absurd one."

          - Voltaire

        • Chris Lott
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 2, 2012
            On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 1:47 AM, Eric Weir <eeweir@...> wrote:

            > My reason for being interested in mmd is {1] I'm not a programmer, [2] I
            > compose in and manage larger writing projects with Scrivener, which provides
            > for export to latex via mmd, [3] I'm primarily interested in being able to
            > use latex to format and print/publish short documents composed in vim.

            I wonder if there isn't some kind of misunderstanding? You can use
            vim-pandoc with markdown or multimarkdown. Which means you can use
            Markdown and generate the print version using the pandoc program to
            create LaTeX or HTML or just to clean up and normalize your
            markdown/multimarkdown code. Pandoc as a markup adds some things to
            the markdown/multimarkdown base, but the engine seems to have
            everything I have thrown at it from md/mmd.

            The pandoc plugin provides some syntax highlighting and other goodies
            to help speed along the process writing in any of the markups.

            Chris Lott <chris@...>

          • Eric Weir
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 3, 2012
              On Mar 2, 2012, at 8:46 PM, Chris Lott wrote:

              > On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 1:47 AM, Eric Weir <eeweir@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> My reason for being interested in mmd is {1] I'm not a programmer, [2] I
              >> compose in and manage larger writing projects with Scrivener, which provides
              >> for export to latex via mmd, [3] I'm primarily interested in being able to
              >> use latex to format and print/publish short documents composed in vim.
              >
              > I wonder if there isn't some kind of misunderstanding? You can use
              > vim-pandoc with markdown or multimarkdown. Which means you can use
              > Markdown and generate the print version using the pandoc program to
              > create LaTeX or HTML or just to clean up and normalize your
              > markdown/multimarkdown code. Pandoc as a markup adds some things to
              > the markdown/multimarkdown base, but the engine seems to have
              > everything I have thrown at it from md/mmd.

              Thanks, Chris. I've learned a bit about pandoc since writing that. Intrigued, both for the extended markdown and document conversion capabilities.

              Since I manage larger writing projects in Scrivener, which provides direct export to latex via mmd, pandoc and the vimpandoc plugin strike me a bit as overkill for the simple smaller documents I'd like to format with latex.

              I just might adopt it anyway.

              Regards.
              Eric Weir
              Decatur, GA
              eeweir@...

              "A man should be in the world as though he were not in it
              so that it will be no worse because of his life."

              - Wendell Berry