How to display line end like in this vim video?

  • Peng Yu
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 17, 2012

      I see that vim in this video shows the line end with a character like
      an inverted "L". Does anybody know how to make vim to do so?

      Regards,
      Peng

    • Peng Yu
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 17, 2012
        > I see that vim in this video shows the line end with a character like
        > an inverted "L". Does anybody know how to make vim to do so?

        Here is the link.

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1vC7S385x8&list=PL6991B2F40652C74F&index=2&feature=plpp_video

      • Marcin Szamotulski
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 17, 2012
          On 13:48 Fri 17 Feb , Peng Yu wrote:
          > > I see that vim in this video shows the line end with a character like
          > > an inverted "L". Does anybody know how to make vim to do so?
          >
          > Here is the link.
          >
          > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1vC7S385x8&list=PL6991B2F40652C74F&index=2&feature=plpp_video

          Do you mean ¬? What I did to get it:
          :digraphs shows all the digraph available (this might depend on the font that you use)
          One the right side of each digraph there is a number which is to be used with
          i_CTRL-V. This particular has value 172 so to get ¬ just type in insert mode
          ^V172 (where ^V is CTRL-V).

          Best,
          Marcin

        • Peng Yu
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 17, 2012
            > Do you mean ¬? What I did to get it:
            > :digraphs       shows all the digraph available (this might depend on the font that you use)
            > One the right side of each digraph there is a number which is to be used with
            > i_CTRL-V. This particular has value 172 so to get ¬ just type in  insert mode
            > ^V172 (where ^V is CTRL-V).

            I do not mean to type that character. I just need vim to display that
            character by default at the line ends. So that I know there lines end
            in case so that I know whether there are trailing space characters.

            Peng

          • John Beckett
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 17, 2012
              Peng Yu wrote:
              > I do not mean to type that character. I just need vim to
              > display that character by default at the line ends.

              See the examples in this tip (in particular, 'listchars'):
              http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Highlight_unwanted_spaces

              John

            • Michael Ludwig
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 4, 2012
                Peng Yu schrieb am 17.02.2012 um 16:09 (-0600):
                > > Do you mean ¬? What I did to get it:
                > > :digraphs       shows all the digraph available (this might depend
                > > on the font that you use)
                > > One the right side of each digraph there is a number which is to be
                > > used with i_CTRL-V. This particular has value 172 so to get ¬ just
                > > type in  insert mode ^V172 (where ^V is CTRL-V).
                >
                > I do not mean to type that character. I just need vim to display that
                > character by default at the line ends. So that I know there lines end
                > in case so that I know whether there are trailing space characters.

                That's exactly what this screencast covers:

                http://vimcasts.org/episodes/show-invisibles/

                Michael

              • Peng Yu
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 4 1:31 PM
                  > That's exactly what this screencast covers:
                  >
                  > http://vimcasts.org/episodes/show-invisibles/

                  I didn't notice your reply. Thanks for sharing the link.

                  Peng

                • Ike Devolder
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 4 2:22 PM
                    Op woensdag 4 juli 2012 15:31:10 schreef Peng Yu:
                    > > That's exactly what this screencast covers:
                    > >
                    > > http://vimcasts.org/episodes/show-invisibles/
                    >
                    > I didn't notice your reply. Thanks for sharing the link.

                    the answer is below the video ?

                    :set list
                    :set list! (toggle them on/off)

                    to change the characters used to show the hidden chars:
                    :help listchars

                    --Ike