Time for a new Featured Tip on the wiki

  • Ben Fritz
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 7, 2012
      We've had the current featured tip for several months now, it's time
      for a new one.

      Rather than the wiki admins just picking one mostly at random, does
      anyone have a tip on the wiki which helped them immensely with a
      problem they were having, or changed the way they used Vim for the
      better? It would be nice to have a list to pull ideas from!

      Otherwise we'll probably just search for tips related to FAQ items and
      feature any of those we haven't featured before.

    • Paul
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 9, 2012
        On Tuesday, 07 February, 2012 at 20:04:25 GMT, Ben Fritz wrote:
        >Rather than the wiki admins just picking one mostly at random, does
        >anyone have a tip on the wiki which helped them immensely with a
        >problem they were having, or changed the way they used Vim for the
        >better? It would be nice to have a list to pull ideas from!

        This one recently helped me [decide to give up on Dvorak]:

        http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Using_Vim_with_the_Dvorak_keyboard_layout

        --

        .

      • Ben Fritz
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 9, 2012
          On Feb 9, 10:21 am, Paul <google01...@...> wrote:
          > On Tuesday, 07 February, 2012 at 20:04:25 GMT, Ben Fritz wrote:
          > >Rather than the wiki admins just picking one mostly at random, does
          > >anyone have a tip on the wiki which helped them immensely with a
          > >problem they were having, or changed the way they used Vim for the
          > >better? It would be nice to have a list to pull ideas from!
          >
          > This one recently helped me [decide to give up on Dvorak]:
          >
          > http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Using_Vim_with_the_Dvorak_keyboard_layout

          I hope you mean, decide to give up on special mappings for Dvorak! I
          use Dvorak exclusively and have no problem using it in Vim. Of course,
          I learned Dvorak before learning Vim.

          Thanks for the suggestion. Any more out there?

        • Paul
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 12, 2012
            On Thursday, 09 February, 2012 at 19:50:41 GMT, Ben Fritz wrote:
            >> This one recently helped me [decide to give up on Dvorak]:
            >
            >I hope you mean, decide to give up on special mappings for Dvorak! I
            >use Dvorak exclusively and have no problem using it in Vim. Of course,
            >I learned Dvorak before learning Vim.

            Actually both. I just couldn't bare having to use two hands to navigate with hjkl, and remapping them seemed like a bad idea. It's a shame because I really do like Dvorak better than Sholes, and wish that I had learnt that before Sholes, but I type fast enough already and don't really see an advantage of switching to Dvorak now (I don't get RSI or anything). In fact, I see two-handed hjkl as a distinct disadvantage.

            --

            .

          • Chris Lott
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 12, 2012
              On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 6:02 AM, Paul <google01239@...> wrote:
              > On Thursday, 09 February, 2012 at 19:50:41 GMT, Ben Fritz wrote:
              >>>
              >>> This one recently helped me [decide to give up on Dvorak]:

              Has there been some new evidence since this?
              http://www.utdallas.edu/~liebowit/keys1.html

              I've always been told that the superiority of Dvorak was a myth. I've
              yet to see anything that makes me think otherwise!

              Chris Lott <chris@...>

            • Paul
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 12, 2012
                On Sunday, 12 February, 2012 at 16:36:31 GMT, Chris Lott wrote:
                >Has there been some new evidence since this?
                >http://www.utdallas.edu/~liebowit/keys1.html

                TL;DR

                >I've always been told that the superiority of Dvorak was a myth. I've
                >yet to see anything that makes me think otherwise!

                I think we can type just as fast in any layout as long as we get used to it. If a person first learns speed typing in Sholes, he reaches x WPM. If he had first learnt speed typing in Dvorak, he'd reach y WPM. The difference twixt x and y is too small to consider either one 'better' than the other, IMHO. Dvorak does 'feel' better, though, and people who suffer from RSI using Sholes do say they can type more comfortably in Dvorak. It also might be worth considering that the world's fastest typer did it in Dvorak.

                IOW, if you're already fast enough in Sholes and don't suffer RSI, Dvorak won't help you much.

                --

                .

              • Ben Fritz
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 12, 2012
                  On Feb 12, 12:40 pm, Paul <google01...@...> wrote:
                  > On Sunday, 12 February, 2012 at 16:36:31 GMT, Chris Lott wrote:
                  > >Has there been some new evidence since this?
                  > >http://www.utdallas.edu/~liebowit/keys1.html
                  >
                  > TL;DR
                  >
                  > >I've always been told that the superiority of Dvorak was a myth. I've
                  > >yet to see anything that makes me think otherwise!
                  >
                  > I think we can type just as fast in any layout as long as we get used to it. If a person first learns speed typing in Sholes, he reaches x WPM. If he had first learnt speed typing in Dvorak, he'd reach y WPM. The difference twixt x and y is too small to consider either one 'better' than the other, IMHO. Dvorak does 'feel' better, though, and people who suffer from RSI using Sholes do say they can type more comfortably in Dvorak. It also might be worth considering that the world's fastest typer did it in Dvorak.
                  >
                  > IOW, if you're already fast enough in Sholes and don't suffer RSI, Dvorak won't help you much.

                  All I can say with confidence about Dvorak vs. QWERTY, was that QWERTY
                  was designed to prevent typewriters from jamming, whereas Dvorak was
                  designed for ergonomics of the hand. Whether or not Dvorak allows one
                  to type faster is (to me) only a nice side effect. I know from
                  experience, that my hands and wrists get sore after extended typing
                  sessions in QWERTY, but I have little or no problem with typing in
                  Dvorak.

                  In my own personal experience, I am faster now in Dvorak than I ever
                  was in QWERTY. But that's not what made me switch nor is it why I've
                  stuck with it, and I'm not convinced that my speed boost is because of
                  any speed superiority in the layout itself.