Surround active bufer with higlight

  • Rich Healey
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2012
      When I have my window split with many buffers, the title line on the active pane is a different color, but is it possible to have all 4 borders of the current split different the way tmux et al does?

      Sometimes when I have many splits I find it hard to find where I left my focus.

    • Paul Isambert
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2012
        Rich Healey <healey.rich@...> a écrit:

        > When I have my window split with many buffers, the title line on the active
        > pane is a different color, but is it possible to have all 4 borders of the
        > current split different the way tmux et al does?

        I don't think that's possible. However, perhaps the following (which
        might be improved) will suit your needs; it uses ColorColumn to change
        the background color of inactive windows (of course you'll need ColorColumn
        suitably set; darker than Normal would be good, I suppose), so the
        current window seems highlighted (it would be better still to set NonText
        too):

        function! s:SetCurrentWindow()
        for i in range(1, tabpagewinnr(tabpagenr(), '$'))
        let l:range = ""
        if i != winnr()
        for j in range(1, winwidth(i))
        let l:range = l:range . j . ","
        endfor
        let l:range = substitute(l:range, ',$', '', '')
        endif
        call setwinvar(i, '&cc', l:range)
        endfor
        endfunction

        au WinEnter * call s:SetCurrentWindow()

        Best,
        Paul

      • John Little
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2, 2012
          On Feb 2, 4:47 pm, Rich Healey <healey.r...@...> wrote:

          > Sometimes when I have many splits I find it hard to find where I left my
          > focus.

          Sounds like your cursor is insufficiently conspicuous. If you're
          using gvim, see :h guicursor. I have

          set guicursor=n-c:hor20,v:hor25,ve:ver35,o:hor50,i-ci:ver25,
          \r-cr:hor35-ErrorMsg,sm:block
          " this looks odd, but it works; the second setting of guicursor does
          not undo
          " the previous settings
          set guicursor=a:blinkwait200-blinkon200-blinkoff200

          Otherwise, your terminal emulator may have possibilities. F. ex,

          xterm -bc -bcf 200 -bcn 200 -cr red

          or have a look in the wiki: http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Configuring_the_cursor

          Regards, John

        • Christian Brabandt
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 2, 2012
            On Thu, February 2, 2012 04:47, Rich Healey wrote:
            > When I have my window split with many buffers, the title line on the
            > active
            > pane is a different color, but is it possible to have all 4 borders of the
            > current split different the way tmux et al does?
            >
            > Sometimes when I have many splits I find it hard to find where I left my
            > focus.
            May be just as simple as:

            au WinEnter * :set cul
            au WinLeave * :set nocul

            regards,
            Christian

          • Rich Healey
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 2, 2012
              Thanks all for your replies. I'm going to experiment with all 3 approaches today and see which I prefer.