undoing iab expansion

  • sinbad
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 4, 2012
      i use abbreviations to do autocomplete a big sentence.
      sometimes the abr' will be inappropriate, so i want a quick
      way to revert back to what i have originally typed. i know "u"
      doesn't work. is there anyother way ?

      cheers

    • Christian Brabandt
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 4, 2012
        Hi sinbad!

        On Mi, 04 Jan 2012, sinbad wrote:

        > i use abbreviations to do autocomplete a big sentence.
        > sometimes the abr' will be inappropriate, so i want a quick
        > way to revert back to what i have originally typed. i know "u"
        > doesn't work. is there anyother way ?

        Not yet, but it's in the todo list.
        :h todo and search for abbreviation.

        regards,
        Christian

      • Tim Chase
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 4, 2012
          On 01/04/12 06:06, sinbad wrote:
          > i use abbreviations to do autocomplete a big sentence.
          > sometimes the abr' will be inappropriate, so i want a quick
          > way to revert back to what i have originally typed. i know "u"
          > doesn't work. is there anyother way ?

          My first thought would be to use a mapping that invokes
          control-G_U before expanding to your text:

          :inoremap XX <c-g>uThis is what it expands to.

          That way, when you type "XX", an undo-point gets dropped, and you
          can then issue an "u"ndo from normal mode (whether hitting <esc>
          or a one-off via control+O)

          :help i_CTRL-G_u
          :h i_CTRL-O
          :h inoremap