highlighting in terminal

  • Chris Lott
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 3, 2012
      I am using the candycode theme
      (http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=1635), which works
      well enough.

      However, while searching using EasyMotion (which freaking rocks:
      http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=3526), the found
      characters are highlighted in red in gvim, but not at all in terminal.

      Is there an easy way to get the highlights in terminal vim?

      Chris Lott <chris@...>

    • sc
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 3, 2012
        On Tuesday, January 03, 2012 13:08:33 Chris Lott wrote:

        > I am using the candycode theme
        > (http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=1635), which
        > works well enough.

        > However, while searching using EasyMotion (which freaking
        > rocks: http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=3526),
        > the found characters are highlighted in red in gvim, but not
        > at all in terminal.

        > Is there an easy way to get the highlights in terminal vim?

        - download and install the CSApprox plugin

        - in gvim, create a candycode colorscheme for vim using
        CSASnapshot

        - deinstall the CSApprox plugin

        - put

        if !has("gui_running")
        colo <newly-created-candy-snapshot>
        endif

        in your .vimrc

        oh wait -- you wanted an easy way? never mind

        sc

      • Chris Lott
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 3, 2012
          On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 10:34 AM, sc <toothpik@...> wrote:

          > - download and install the CSApprox plugin
          [...]
          > oh wait -- you wanted an easy way?  never mind

          That was plenty easy enough... and worked perfectly! Thanks!

          Chris Lott <chris@...>

        • Thilo Six
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 3, 2012
            Chris Lott wrote the following on 03.01.2012 20:08

            -- <snip> --
            > However, while searching using EasyMotion (which freaking rocks:
            > http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=3526), the found
            > characters are highlighted in red in gvim, but not at all in terminal.

            Thanks for the suggestion. I like it, too. For the colour problem:

            ,----[ plugin/EasyMotion.vim ]--------

            " Default highlighting {{{
            let s:target_hl_defaults = {
            \ 'gui' : ['NONE', '#ff0000' , 'bold']
            \ , 'cterm256': ['NONE', '196' , 'bold']
            \ , 'cterm' : ['NONE', 'red' , 'bold']
            \ }

            let s:shade_hl_defaults = {
            \ 'gui' : ['NONE', '#777777' , 'NONE']
            \ , 'cterm256': ['NONE', '242' , 'NONE']
            \ , 'cterm' : ['NONE', 'grey' , 'NONE']
            \ }

            `---------------------------------------------

            I guess your term is capable of 256 but your colour theme is not?
            What gives you:
            :set term?
            :set t_Co?

            Do you have a link to the colour theme?

            > Is there an easy way to get the highlights in terminal vim?

            > Chris Lott <chris@...>

            Thilo

            4096R/0xC70B1A8F

          • Thilo Six
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 3, 2012
              Chris Lott wrote the following on 03.01.2012 20:59

              > That was plenty easy enough... and worked perfectly! Thanks!

              ah i see sc has already fixed it.

              > Chris Lott <chris@...>

              Thilo

              4096R/0xC70B1A8F

            • Marty Fried
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 3, 2012
                On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 11:34 AM, sc <toothpik@...> wrote:
                On Tuesday, January 03, 2012 13:08:33 Chris Lott wrote:

                > I am using the candycode theme
                > (http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=1635), which
                > works well enough.

                > However, while searching using EasyMotion (which freaking
                > rocks: http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=3526),
                > the found characters are highlighted in red in gvim, but not
                > at all in terminal.

                > Is there an easy way to get the highlights in terminal vim?

                - download and install the CSApprox plugin

                Thanks, you solved my problem, too, but it was even easier for me. After installing CSApprox, and running the help installation, it told me my terminal was not enough colors.

                So, I searched for "gnome terminal colors", and found the bash command
                export TERM="xterm-256color",
                then my colorscheme (Murphy) looked good in Vim.  But it's nice to know about CSApprox in case I change in the future.

                Also, thanks to Chris for the nudge about EasyMotion.  I had installed it, but couldn't remember how it worked, so I was motivated enough to find out.  I'm a bit new to leader characters in Vim, and had forgotten what character I had changed it to (comma).  Maybe I need to start using it more - or changing things less.