Re: Aurum-1.3: plugin for Vim <--> VCS integration, now with git support

  • ZyX ZyX
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 3 8:49 AM
      > Shouldn't you also say a sentence about why not continue vcscommand [1]?
      > Often there are strong reasons for starting from scratch. It would also
      > be nice to say a word or two about the why ?

      VCSCommand is not that unified: it is :reading command outputs without
      parsing it. Aurum drivers are outputting unified structures, every
      time the same (with minor differencies like (non-)numeric cs.rev,
      different lengths of cs.hex). You can’t customize output of :VCSLog in
      unified fashion. VCSCommand is not using *Cmd events thus it is more
      limited concerning how you can use its output. VCSCommand requires
      file from desired repository to be opened, while Aurum has both code
      guessing what is “current repository”, “current file” and “current
      revision” and ability to specify them without guessing. I see no
      normal way to use mercurial python API in VCSCommand (though it does
      not matter until you want to have unified log: it currently takes 7
      seconds to show commit log for vim repository and it will be much more
      if you want to use CLI). There are more advantages possesed by Aurum,
      some of them are unique (I have not seen :AuRecord in any other
      plugin), but AFAIK they can be merged into VCSCommand.