Re: Nesting an already defined menu in a menu

  • Marko Mahnič
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2012
      On Jan 3, 12:46 am, gvalkov <georgi.t.val...@...> wrote:
      > Is it possible to nest a menu that has already been defined (say, in a
      > plugin) under another menu (say, PopUp)?

      It is possible. In fact I implemented something like this in a plugin
      (FileType Menu) which was never published on vim.org. The code is
      here:

      http://vimuiex.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/vimuiex/trunk/related/filetype-menu/

      From the docs:

      FileType Menu plugin implements a menu that changes its contents based
      on the 'filetype' of the current buffer.

      3. Moving menus around
      ======================
      The ftmenu plugin exposes some functions that enable the user to move
      a menu
      to a different location in the menu structure. This can be useful when
      many
      plugins are installed that create their own top-level menus which can
      make the
      menubar too large.

      Marko

    • gvalkov
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 4, 2012
        Neat module you have there. Thanks.

        Hm, I was also eyeing the output of `menu $menu` as a possibility, but
        it just seemed too painful to parse at the moment. It would have been
        nice if vim had this built in - feels more like a core function,
        rather than something that scripts like yours should provide (imho).

        Either way, something like ftmenu#MoveMenu and ftmenu#CaptureMenu
        would be a nice addition to one of the vim script libraries (l9, tlib,
        vxlib etc)

        Thanks Again!

        On Jan 3, 12:30 pm, Marko Mahnič <marko.mah...@...> wrote:
        > On Jan 3, 12:46 am, gvalkov <georgi.t.val...@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Is it possible to nest a menu that has already been defined (say, in a
        > > plugin) under another menu (say, PopUp)?
        >
        > It is possible. In fact I implemented something like this in a plugin
        > (FileType Menu) which was never published on vim.org. The code is
        > here:
        >
        > http://vimuiex.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/vimuiex/trunk/related/filet...
        >
        > From the docs:
        >
        > FileType Menu plugin implements a menu that changes its contents based
        > on the 'filetype' of the current buffer.
        >
        > 3. Moving menus around
        > ======================
        > The ftmenu plugin exposes some functions that enable the user to move
        > a menu
        > to a different location in the menu structure. This can be useful when
        > many
        > plugins are installed that create their own top-level menus which can
        > make the
        > menubar too large.
        >
        > Marko

      • Marko Mahnič
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 5, 2012
          On Jan 5, 12:55 am, gvalkov <georgi.t.val...@...> wrote:
          > Hm, I was also eyeing the output of `menu $menu` as a possibility, but
          > it just seemed too painful to parse at the moment. It would have been
          > nice if vim had this built in - feels more like a core function,
          > rather than something that scripts like yours should provide (imho).

          Yes, especially since the MoveMenu function has some problems with
          menus that contain some special characters, IIRC with '|' (bar). Most
          of the menus are transfered, though.

          > Either way, something like ftmenu#MoveMenu and ftmenu#CaptureMenu
          > would be a nice addition to one of the vim script libraries (l9, tlib,
          > vxlib etc)

          I was planning to add it to VxLib (among other things), but I don't
          have much time these days.

          Marko