Slava

  • Vyacheslav Kiria-Kaiserberg
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2012
      Hi, my name is Slava and I am new to Vim, but experienced in Latex. I am having trouble installing vim-latex properly on MY PC (Windows 7). I downloaded vim-latex suite and tried to follow the instructions on Vim-Latex download page:http://vim-latex.sourceforge.net/index.php?subject=download&title=Download with little success. Could someone, please, explain how exactly to make changes to _vimrc file?   Do I just copy and paste them in _vimrc file in any place i want or there is specific location i should put them in. Also, when I noticed that Vim does not allow to modify _vimrc file giving an error "readonly". Also, helptags ~/vimfiles/doc , the last step in the installation instructions did not work for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    • Marcin Szamotulski
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 3, 2012
        On 23:18 Mon 02 Jan , Vyacheslav Kiria-Kaiserberg wrote:
        > Hi, my name is Slava and I am new to Vim, but experienced in Latex. I am
        > having trouble installing vim-latex properly on MY PC (Windows 7). I
        > downloaded vim-latex suite and tried to follow the instructions on
        > Vim-Latex download
        > page:http://vim-latex.sourceforge.net/index.php?subject=download&title=Download
        > <http://vim-latex.sourceforge.net/index.php?subject=download&title=Download>
        > with little success. Could someone, please, explain how exactly to make
        > changes to _vimrc file? Do I just copy and paste them in _vimrc file
        > in any place i want or there is specific location i should put them in.
        > Also, when I noticed that Vim does not allow to modify _vimrc file
        > giving an error "readonly". Also, helptags ~/vimfiles/doc , the last
        > step in the installation instructions did not work for me. Any help
        > would be greatly appreciated.

        You can place them in any place of your vimrc file. On startup vim reads this
        file executing all the commands (from top to bottom).

        Do you have privilages to your vimrc file. And what if you open and set
        noreadonly (":set noreadonly"). What was the error you got while using the
        ":helptags" command?

        Best regards,
        Marcin Szamotulski

      • V. Kiria-Kaiserberg
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 3, 2012
          On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 7:27 AM, Marcin Szamotulski <mszamot@...> wrote:
          > On 23:18 Mon 02 Jan     , Vyacheslav Kiria-Kaiserberg wrote:
          >> Hi, my name is Slava and I am new to Vim, but experienced in Latex. I am
          >> having trouble installing vim-latex properly on MY PC (Windows 7). I
          >> downloaded vim-latex suite and tried to follow the instructions on
          >> Vim-Latex download
          >> page:http://vim-latex.sourceforge.net/index.php?subject=download&title=Download
          >> <http://vim-latex.sourceforge.net/index.php?subject=download&title=Download>
          >> with little success. Could someone, please, explain how exactly to make
          >> changes to _vimrc file?   Do I just copy and paste them in _vimrc file
          >> in any place i want or there is specific location i should put them in.
          >> Also, when I noticed that Vim does not allow to modify _vimrc file
          >> giving an error "readonly". Also, helptags ~/vimfiles/doc , the last
          >> step in the installation instructions did not work for me. Any help
          >> would be greatly appreciated.
          >>
          >> --
          >
          > You can place them in any place of your vimrc file. On startup vim reads this
          > file executing all the commands (from top to bottom).
          >
          > Do you have privilages to your vimrc file. And what if you open and set
          > noreadonly (":set noreadonly"). What was the error you got while using the
          > ":helptags" command?
          >
          > Best regards,
          > Marcin Szamotulski

          Hi, Marcin. Thank you very much for your response. I followed your
          suggestion about (":set noreadonly") and looks like it is working.
          When i enter ":helptags ~/vimfiles/doc" command (i also tried
          ":helptags vimfiles/doc") the error message is : "Not a directory".
          To give you an idea of my vimlatex files location: following the
          instructions on vimlatex website, i extracted the vimlatex folder into
          a folder called vimfiles. This vimlatex folder has the following long
          name: "vim-latex-1.8.23-20110214.1049-git089726a". There are other
          subfolders in vimfiles all of which(besides vim-latex one) are empty.
          I don't know if this info is relevant, but wanted to mention it just
          in case. Thank you again.
          S.