Re: Vim persistent undo with sudoedit

  • Gary Johnson
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2012
      On 2012-01-03, Raghavendra Prabhu wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I use persistent undo feature of vim. However, I use sudoedit when
      > editing files as root. This breaks the persistent undo since it
      > relies on filenames. Is there a way around this ? I tried a few vim
      > plugins (like sudo.vim) which didn't seem to work for me.
      > I am using either of them because a few plugins (like neocomplcache)
      > complain that they won't run as sudo (which is right) since they run
      > a few things in background. So is there a way around this ?

      Did you try the latest version of SudoEdit.vim
      (http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/script.php?script_id=2709)? The
      release notes for version 11 mention fixing a problem with the undo
      file, so it appears that it is supposed to work with persistent
      undo.

      Regards,
      Gary

    • Christian Brabandt
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 2, 2012
        Hi rprabhu!

        On Di, 03 Jan 2012, rprabhu@... wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I use persistent undo feature of vim. However, I use sudoedit when
        > editing files as root. This breaks the persistent undo since it
        > relies on filenames. Is there a way around this ? I tried a few vim
        > plugins (like sudo.vim) which didn't seem to work for me.
        > I am using either of them because a few plugins (like neocomplcache)
        > complain that they won't run as sudo (which is right) since they
        > run a few things in background. So is there a way around this ?

        Try the SudoEditน plugin. That implements a workaround. But be sure to
        at least use a vim > 7.3.367

        น)http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=2709

        regards,
        Christian

      • rprabhu@wnohang.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 2, 2012
          * On Mon, Jan 02, 2012 at 10:43:45PM +0100, Christian Brabandt <cblists@...> wrote:
          >Hi rprabhu!
          >
          >On Di, 03 Jan 2012, rprabhu@... wrote:
          >
          >> Hi,

          >> I use persistent undo feature of vim. However, I use sudoedit when
          >> editing files as root. This breaks the persistent undo since it
          >> relies on filenames. Is there a way around this ? I tried a few vim
          >> plugins (like sudo.vim) which didn't seem to work for me.
          >> I am using either of them because a few plugins (like neocomplcache)
          >> complain that they won't run as sudo (which is right) since they
          >> run a few things in background. So is there a way around this ?
          >
          >Try the SudoEditน plugin. That implements a workaround. But be sure to
          >at least use a vim > 7.3.367
          >
          >น)http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=2709
          >
          >regards,
          >Christian

          Hi,

          I had tried SudoEdit (after sudo.vim) some time back and not used it for one of
          the reasons. Now it is working fine. :)

          Thanks.
          Raghavendra
        • Christian Brabandt
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 2, 2012
            Hi rprabhu!

            On Di, 03 Jan 2012, rprabhu@... wrote:

            > * On Mon, Jan 02, 2012 at 10:43:45PM +0100, Christian Brabandt <cblists@...> wrote:
            > >Hi rprabhu!
            > >
            > >On Di, 03 Jan 2012, rprabhu@... wrote:
            > >
            > >>Hi,
            >
            > >>I use persistent undo feature of vim. However, I use sudoedit when
            > >>editing files as root. This breaks the persistent undo since it
            > >>relies on filenames. Is there a way around this ? I tried a few vim
            > >>plugins (like sudo.vim) which didn't seem to work for me.
            > >>I am using either of them because a few plugins (like neocomplcache)
            > >>complain that they won't run as sudo (which is right) since they
            > >>run a few things in background. So is there a way around this ?
            > >
            > >Try the SudoEditน plugin. That implements a workaround. But be sure to
            > >at least use a vim > 7.3.367
            > >
            > >น)http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=2709
            > >
            > >regards,
            > >Christian
            >

            > Hi,
            >
            > I had tried SudoEdit (after sudo.vim) some time back and not used it
            > for one of the reasons. Now it is working fine. :)

            You really should give feedback to the author of a plugin, if you notice
            a problem with it.

            regards,
            Christian