why is Vim coloring text in txt files?

  • Wolfram Volpi
    Message 1 of 42 , Dec 24, 2011
      Sometimes Vim displays my .txt files in various colors.

      The coloring of the text depends on the position of "#" (line 4 in the
      examples below). You can see the colors in the attached png file.

      Is that normal behavior for Vim? If not, where could this colors be
      coming from?

      I don't think the colors are coming from my vimrc file, but I attached
      it in case you want to take a look.

      I just want black text and maybe colors for Markdown headings.

      Thank you,
      wolfv
      --

      temp2.txt:
      After reopening file in Vim,

      temp3.txt:
      After reopening file in Vim,
      if first line starting with hash (#) starts in column 1
      then
      #hash is blue
      'single quote is pink'
      "double quote is pink"

    • Zhao Cai
      Message 42 of 42 , Jan 1, 2012
        > On 01/01/12 16:37, Zhao Cai wrote:
        >> Problem: Right after `set guifont=…`, `winwidth()` returns the old win width instead of the new width which would be changed by new guifont size.
        >>
        >> I tried to call `redraw` between but it does not work.
        >>
        >> Any suggestion? Thanks.
        >>
        >> - Zhao
        >>

        > Experiments here show the following (while typing ex-commands manually in gvim 7.3.390 with GTK2/Gnome2 GUI):
        >
        > If the GUI is maximized (truly maximized, not just with :set lines=999 columns=9999 but by clicking the Maximize menu or widget), it is anchored to the screen borders; in that case setting a smaller font will increase 'lines', 'columns' and also winwidth(0)
        >
        > If the GUI is not truly maximized, then setting a smaller font will keep 'lines' and 'columns' unchanged and reduce the pixel size of the GUI. In that case winwidth(0) is also kept unchanged.
        >
        > Trying to set 'lines' or 'columns' to a value bigger than the available screen space (also by increasing the 'guifont' size) will cause Vim to reduce 'lines' and 'columns' to something no bigger than what is now available onscreen. In this case winwidth(0) may also get reduced.
        >
        > With no vertical splits present, I always see winwidth(0) == &columns

        Thanks for your answer!

        > If you see something else, please answer the following:
        >
        > - Which GUI flavour? (macvim, GTK2, Motif, Windows, …)
        MacVim
        > - Which Vim version and patch level?
        7.3 (2010 Aug 15, compiled Nov 10 2011 17:45:40)
        > - Compiled by yourself (from which sources) or downloaded precompiled (from where)?
        Precompiled newest snapshot
        > - Exact steps to reproduce; actual results; expected results

        I just retested a few more times. The problem happens only when I use mac lion's native full screen. For normal full screen, the winwidth function works just fine.

        Command I use: `let &guifont = 'Bitstream Vera Sans Mono:h18' | echomsg winwidth(0)`

        Detailed version info
        ```
        :version
        VIM - Vi IMproved 7.3 (2010 Aug 15, compiled Nov 10 2011 17:45:40)
        MacOS X (unix) version
        Included patches: 1-353
        Compiled by Bjorn Winckler <bjorn.winckler@...>
        Huge version with MacVim GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
        +arabic +autocmd +balloon_eval +browse ++builtin_terms +byte_offset +cindent +clientserver +clipboard +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info +comments +conceal +cryptv +cscope +cursorbind
        +cursorshape +dialog_con_gui +diff +digraphs +dnd -ebcdic +emacs_tags +eval +ex_extra +extra_search +farsi +file_in_path +find_in_path +float +folding -footer +fork() +fullscreen -gettext
        -hangul_input +iconv +insert_expand +jumplist +keymap +langmap +libcall +linebreak +lispindent +listcmds +localmap -lua +menu +mksession +modify_fname +mouse +mouseshape +mouse_dec -mouse_gpm
        -mouse_jsbterm +mouse_netterm -mouse_sysmouse +mouse_xterm +mouse_urxvt +multi_byte +multi_lang -mzscheme +netbeans_intg +odbeditor +path_extra +perl +persistent_undo +postscript +printer +profile
        +python -python3 +quickfix +reltime +rightleft +ruby +scrollbind +signs +smartindent -sniff +startuptime +statusline -sun_workshop +syntax +tag_binary +tag_old_static -tag_any_white -tcl +terminfo
        +termresponse +textobjects +title +toolbar +transparency +user_commands +vertsplit +virtualedit +visual +visualextra +viminfo +vreplace +wildignore +wildmenu +windows +writebackup -X11 -xfontset +xim
        -xsmp -xterm_clipboard -xterm_save
        system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
        user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
        user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
        system gvimrc file: "$VIM/gvimrc"
        user gvimrc file: "$HOME/.gvimrc"
        fall-back for $VIM: "/Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/Resources/vim"
        Compilation: gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_MACVIM -Wall -Wno-unknown-pragmas -pipe -DMACOS_X_UNIX -no-cpp-precomp -g -O2 -arch i386 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1
        Linking: gcc -L. -L. -arch i386 -L/usr/local/lib -o Vim -framework Cocoa -framework Carbon -lncurses -liconv -framework Cocoa -fstack-protector -L/usr/local/lib -L/System/Librar
        y/Perl/5.12/darwin-thread-multi-2level/CORE -lperl -lm -lutil -lc -framework Python -framework Ruby
        ```