Re: Call external command with stdin

  • Ben Fritz
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 5, 2011
      On Dec 5, 9:31 am, Ovid <publiustemp-...@...> wrote:
      > Hi all,
      >
      > I am trying to write an "extract method" function like this:
      > vmap <leader>e :call ExtractSub()<cr>                                          function! ExtractSub() range " yank selection into x "normal gv"xy let code    = shellescape(join(getline(a:firstline, a:lastline),"\n")) let subname = input("Sub name: ") " put extracted sub/method into the x register let @x = system("~/bin/extract --subname=" . subname.' '.code) " re-select and delete normal gvd " paste x into visual areaq normal "xP  endfunction
      > The idea is that I select a few lines of code in visual mode, pass them to my /bin/extract code and have it rewrite my code.

      Like what, now? Can you repost with linebreaks and indent?

      > Originally I had this:
      >
      >    vmap <leader>e :!~/bin/extract <cr>
      >

      > That worked fine, but I read the selected code from STDIN.

      Yes, because in visual mode, implicitly Vim adds a range of '<,'> to
      anything done on the command-line. So what Vim actually executes is:

      '<,'>!~/bin/extract

      > I can't figure out how to do that with a function,

      You do it in the same way. It looks like you're using a:firstline and
      a:lastline as the lines to work on, so should be able to just do
      something like:

      exe a:firstline.",".a:lastline.'!~/bin/extract'