Re: jumping position

  • György Kiss
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 2, 2011
      CTRL-O
      :help CTRL-O

      On 2011.12.02., at 16:20, shawn wilson wrote:

      > is there a way to go back to the previous position in a file?
      > something like a history for the cursor position?
      >
      > i generally put markers in files when i'm looking for things, but
      > sometimes forget to do 'ma', 'mb' etc and then might forget what i
      > called it, but if there was a way to say, go where i was in a file 4
      > jumps ago (by jumps, i mean 'gd', ':-100', '/blah', etc) that would be
      > cool

    • shawn wilson
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 2, 2011
        ty

        On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 10:23, György Kiss <w2lkm2n@...> wrote:
        > CTRL-O
        > :help CTRL-O
        >
        > On 2011.12.02., at 16:20, shawn wilson wrote:
        >
        >> is there a way to go back to the previous position in a file?
        >> something like a history for the cursor position?
        >>
        >> i generally put markers in files when i'm looking for things, but
        >> sometimes forget to do 'ma', 'mb' etc and then might forget what i
        >> called it, but if there was a way to say, go where i was in a file 4
        >> jumps ago (by jumps, i mean 'gd', ':-100', '/blah', etc) that would be
        >> cool
        >>
        >> --

      • Sven Guckes
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 2, 2011
          * shawn wilson <ag4ve.us@...> [2011-12-02 16:23]:
          > is there a way to go back to the previous position in a file?
          > something like a history for the cursor position?

          yes.. see ":help jump-motions" for
          ":help CTRL-O" and ":help CTRL-I".

          > i generally put markers in files when i'm looking for
          > things, but sometimes forget to do 'ma', 'mb' etc and then
          > might forget what i called it, but if there was a way to
          > say, go where i was in a file 4 jumps ago (by jumps, i
          > mean 'gd', ':-100', '/blah', etc) that would be cool

          easy: 4<c-o>

          you can also have the jumplist saved to a session file
          so it will all be available again after the next startup.

          enjoy vim!

          Sven

        • Zind
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 5, 2011