jumping position

  • shawn wilson
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 2, 2011
      is there a way to go back to the previous position in a file?
      something like a history for the cursor position?

      i generally put markers in files when i'm looking for things, but
      sometimes forget to do 'ma', 'mb' etc and then might forget what i
      called it, but if there was a way to say, go where i was in a file 4
      jumps ago (by jumps, i mean 'gd', ':-100', '/blah', etc) that would be
      cool

    • György Kiss
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 2, 2011
        CTRL-O
        :help CTRL-O

        On 2011.12.02., at 16:20, shawn wilson wrote:

        > is there a way to go back to the previous position in a file?
        > something like a history for the cursor position?
        >
        > i generally put markers in files when i'm looking for things, but
        > sometimes forget to do 'ma', 'mb' etc and then might forget what i
        > called it, but if there was a way to say, go where i was in a file 4
        > jumps ago (by jumps, i mean 'gd', ':-100', '/blah', etc) that would be
        > cool

      • shawn wilson
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 2, 2011
          ty

          On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 10:23, György Kiss <w2lkm2n@...> wrote:
          > CTRL-O
          > :help CTRL-O
          >
          > On 2011.12.02., at 16:20, shawn wilson wrote:
          >
          >> is there a way to go back to the previous position in a file?
          >> something like a history for the cursor position?
          >>
          >> i generally put markers in files when i'm looking for things, but
          >> sometimes forget to do 'ma', 'mb' etc and then might forget what i
          >> called it, but if there was a way to say, go where i was in a file 4
          >> jumps ago (by jumps, i mean 'gd', ':-100', '/blah', etc) that would be
          >> cool
          >>
          >> --

        • Sven Guckes
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 2, 2011
            * shawn wilson <ag4ve.us@...> [2011-12-02 16:23]:
            > is there a way to go back to the previous position in a file?
            > something like a history for the cursor position?

            yes.. see ":help jump-motions" for
            ":help CTRL-O" and ":help CTRL-I".

            > i generally put markers in files when i'm looking for
            > things, but sometimes forget to do 'ma', 'mb' etc and then
            > might forget what i called it, but if there was a way to
            > say, go where i was in a file 4 jumps ago (by jumps, i
            > mean 'gd', ':-100', '/blah', etc) that would be cool

            easy: 4<c-o>

            you can also have the jumplist saved to a session file
            so it will all be available again after the next startup.

            enjoy vim!

            Sven

          • Zind
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 5, 2011