Re: F3 acting like 'g~w' with Filetype 'mail'

  • Bastien Dejean
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 2, 2011
      Bastien Dejean a écrit :

      > I just realized F1 and F2 also have a similar behavior:
      > 'F1' seems to be '~', 'F2': '2~', and 'F3': '3~'... ?!

      When I look at:

      :h xterm-function-keys

      I see similar patterns.

      Any chances it might be related?

      Greetings,
      --
      Bastien

    • Taylor Hedberg
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 2, 2011
        Bastien Dejean, Fri 2011-12-02 @ 15:01:20+0100:
        > Any chances it might be related?

        I'd say that it's very likely, presuming that you're using the terminal
        version of Vim, of course.

        Are the values of your $TERM environment variable and the related 'term'
        option in Vim set appropriately for your terminal? Does your system's
        terminfo database have entries for the terminal you're using? And is
        your Vim compiled with terminfo support (look for `+terminfo` in the
        output of :version).
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 2, 2011
          On 02/12/11 15:01, Bastien Dejean wrote:
          > Bastien Dejean a écrit :
          >
          >> I just realized F1 and F2 also have a similar behavior:
          >> 'F1' seems to be '~', 'F2': '2~', and 'F3': '3~'... ?!
          >
          > When I look at:
          >
          > :h xterm-function-keys
          >
          > I see similar patterns.
          >
          > Any chances it might be related?
          >
          > Greetings,

          Could be. Check the values for <F1> <F2> etc. in the output of ":set
          termcap". If they match what you see by hitting (in Insert mode) Ctrl-V
          followed by the concerned F key (meaning that Vim knows what your
          terminal sends), try

          :set timeout timeoutlen=5000 ttimeoutlen=100

          where:
          - Both timeouts are in milliseconds
          - 'timeoutlen' should be longer than the time between successive keys of
          a multikey {lhs} for a mapping at your slowest typing speed
          - 'ttimeoutlen' should be shorter than the time between successive keys
          at your fastest typing speed but longer than the maximum possible time
          between successive bytes sent by the keyboard driver for a single key.

          The problem with engineers is that they tend to cheat in order to get
          results.

          The problem with mathematicians is that they tend to work on toy
          problems in order to get results.

          The problem with program verifiers is that they tend to cheat at toy

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 2, 2011
            Taylor Hedberg a écrit :

            > Bastien Dejean, Fri 2011-12-02 @ 15:01:20+0100:
            > > Any chances it might be related?
            > I'd say that it's very likely, presuming that you're using the terminal
            > version of Vim, of course.

            Yes, I found the problem.

            I was running mutt with (and vim within mutt):

            TERM=screen mutt "$@"

            Because I had color problems and I followed mutt's FAQ:

            http://wiki.mutt.org/?MuttFaq/Appearance

            (in “Why doesn't the background highlight colour show behind white space?”)

            Greetings,
            --
            Bastien