Re: Delay on opening new file

  • Alireza Haghdoost
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2011
      Thanks Tim

      Problem solved by modifying viminfo file

      Alireza

      On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 10:44, Tim Chase <vim@...> wrote:
      > On 12/01/11 10:15, Alireza Haghdoost wrote:
      >>
      >> More updates about problem: vim command without mentioning any file in
      >> command line takes that much time to open. However, by pressing Ctrl+c
      >> it opens immediately...
      >

      > My first guess is that there's something massive stashed in your viminfo
      > file.  You can try renaming your viminfo so that Vim doesn't find it.  If
      > that speeds things up, then you can try hand-editing the viminfo so that the
      > big stuff is removed.
      >
      > Alternatively, you might be loading some script that is causing trouble.
      >  Including the output of
      >
      >  :scriptnames
      >
      > might help track down a rogue plugin.
      >
      > Other possibilities include Vim attempting to connect to X which you can try
      > by launching Vim with the -X command parameter.
      >
      > Lastly, if you're pulling down some file (content, script, syntax file, etc)
      > over a slow (low-bandwidth or high-latency) network link, it might stall out
      > indefinitely.
      >
      > -tim

    • Alireza Haghdoost
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 4, 2012
        Hi

        I have the same problem again. vim opens with huge delay. I need to push Crtl+c after vim command to force execution. I don't know why it has such a delay. Here is the content of my :scriptnames

         1: /usr/share/vim/vimrc
          2: /usr/share/vim/vim71/debian.vim
          3: /usr/share/vim/vim71/filetype.vim
          4: /usr/share/vim/vim71/ftplugin.vim
          5: /usr/share/vim/vim71/plugin/getscriptPlugin.vim
          6: /usr/share/vim/vim71/plugin/gzip.vim
          7: /usr/share/vim/vim71/plugin/matchparen.vim
          8: /usr/share/vim/vim71/plugin/netrwPlugin.vim
          9: /usr/share/vim/vim71/plugin/rrhelper.vim
         10: /usr/share/vim/vim71/plugin/spellfile.vim
         11: /usr/share/vim/vim71/plugin/tarPlugin.vim
         12: /usr/share/vim/vim71/plugin/tohtml.vim
         13: /usr/share/vim/vim71/plugin/vimballPlugin.vim
         14: /usr/share/vim/vim71/plugin/zipPlugin.vim

        I have removed .viminfo file. More over I am using a local network to connect the server and run vim. I am not using X or slow link. Do you have any idea ?

[...]

      • Charles Campbell
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 4, 2012
          Alireza Haghdoost wrote:
          > Hi
          >
          > I have the same problem again. vim opens with huge delay. I need to
          > push Crtl+c after vim command to force execution. I don't know why it
          > has such a delay. Here is the content of my :scriptnames
          >
          > 1: /usr/share/vim/vimrc
          > 2: /usr/share/vim/vim71/debian.vim
          > 3: /usr/share/vim/vim71/filetype.vim
          > 4: /usr/share/vim/vim71/ftplugin.vim
          > 5: /usr/share/vim/vim71/plugin/getscriptPlugin.vim
          > 6: /usr/share/vim/vim71/plugin/gzip.vim
          > 7: /usr/share/vim/vim71/plugin/matchparen.vim
          > 8: /usr/share/vim/vim71/plugin/netrwPlugin.vim
          > 9: /usr/share/vim/vim71/plugin/rrhelper.vim
          > 10: /usr/share/vim/vim71/plugin/spellfile.vim
          > 11: /usr/share/vim/vim71/plugin/tarPlugin.vim
          > 12: /usr/share/vim/vim71/plugin/tohtml.vim
          > 13: /usr/share/vim/vim71/plugin/vimballPlugin.vim
          > 14: /usr/share/vim/vim71/plugin/zipPlugin.vim
          >
          > I have removed .viminfo file. More over I am using a local network to
          > connect the server and run vim. I am not using X or slow link. Do you
          > have any idea ?
          >

          > On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 10:44, Tim Chase <vim@...
          > <mailto:vim@...>> wrote:
          >
          > On 12/01/11 10:15, Alireza Haghdoost wrote:
          >
          > More updates about problem: vim command without mentioning any
          > file in
          > command line takes that much time to open. However, by
          > pressing Ctrl+c
          > it opens immediately...
          >

          > My first guess is that there's something massive stashed in your
          > viminfo file. You can try renaming your viminfo so that Vim
          > doesn't find it. If that speeds things up, then you can try
          > hand-editing the viminfo so that the big stuff is removed.
          >
          > Alternatively, you might be loading some script that is causing
          > trouble. Including the output of
          >
          > :scriptnames
          >
          > might help track down a rogue plugin.
          >
          > Other possibilities include Vim attempting to connect to X which
          > you can try by launching Vim with the -X command parameter.
          >
          > Lastly, if you're pulling down some file (content, script, syntax
          > file, etc) over a slow (low-bandwidth or high-latency) network
          > link, it might stall out indefinitely.

          Several thoughts...

          * try vim -u NONE somenewfile
          Is this faster?

          * try vim -X somenewfile
          Is this faster?

          * I assume you've removed .viminfo

          * may we see your .vimrc (if its short)? what o/s?

          * what is your backup directory? :echo &bdir (you may or may not have
          one). If you do have one, is it on a "slow link"?

          Regards,
          Chip Campbell

        • Alireza Haghdoost