Re: _vimrc file on Windows with 7.3

  • Henry Hertz Hobbit
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 30, 2011
      On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 3:10 PM, Ben Fritz <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:

      On Nov 20, 6:44 pm, Henry Hertz Hobbit <hhhob...@...> wrote:
      <SNIP>

      > Here is the contents of the_vimrc file:
      >
      > http://www.securemecca.com/tmp/vimrc.txt

      Your mappings are commented out, in that file. Also, although it may
      not matter, I'd use :nnoremap in this situation instead of just :map.

      PROBLEM SOLVED

      YOU ARE CORRECT!  I didn't even look at it carefully like I should
      have.  Part of that is I have too many comment formats I am looking
      at with BAT, sh, C, EMACS, PERL, JavaScript... NOW I can remember
      when I did it. I did it when I gave my _vimrc file to somebody else and
      because they probably don't want those function key mappings I commented
      them out in their folder.  I accidentally copied that file in place rather then
      the one I should have copied. I will try nnoremap which is more appropriate.
      See the changes in the file.

      > I am normally starting vim via a gvimi.bat file in cmd.exe.
      > Here is what is in that file:
      >
      > http://www.securemecca.com/tmp/gvimi.txt

      Why do you normally ditch the viminfo file? I find it extremely
      useful. If you really don't want it, why not just set the viminfo
      option to an empty string in your _vimrc?

      I don't even have a viminfo file any more except on Windows
      where I may right click and edit something from the GUI.

      I find history extremely unuseful for the way I work.  I never
      main but not only objection to history.  It isn't just vim where I try
      to stop history when I can.  I also wipe out what files were opened
      with LibreOffice and OpenOffice (90% of them aren't even in
      existence any more so why have them as recently used?).
      I clean those histories and several others including my BASH
      history using a trim script file that cleans them all out.  Only
      in BASH do I find history useful. But it is useful only as long
      as the xterm is open. Once all xterms are closed I want the
      BASH history to disappear. Otherwise all new xterms opened
      inherit mostly the history of the last closed xterm.  That is
      usually NOT what I want since every one of the xterms is
      usually dedicated to doing only certain things. I usually have
      at least nine xterms open all the time on Linux and BSD.

      I don't like tilde backup files either.  If it is a hot system
      file I copy it some place else and use scripts that make
      backups with dates for the older file.

      It serves me right for commenting out the function key
      mappings for somebody else in the first place.  Let THEM
      comment them out.  Which comment characters am I most
      used to?  "//"  It is used in both C and JavaScript and I
      believe JavaScript is number one in my comment echelon
      and vim is last.  Now you know why I missed it.  In almost
      everything else a double-quote contains a string.

      THANKS!