Re: question about interaction b/w textwidth and conceal

  • hsitz
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 3, 2011
      On Nov 3, 1:28 pm, "Benjamin R. Haskell" <v...@...> wrote:

      > I don't quite understand the use case, though.  It looks like you're
      > editing wiki markup.  So it's probably not going to respect your line
      > breaks, anyway.
      >
      > Is it just so it looks the way you want in Vim itself?

      Ben --

      Thanks, yes, it definitely is so that blocks of text in Vim look
      like blocks of text, not regular lines interspersed with
      other lines that have just a couple of words.

      I'm editing Emacs Org-mode documents in my VimOrganizer
      plugin, which is geared more towards authoring text
      than code. You're of course right that whatever export
      method I choose will ignore the line breaks. But that
      doesn't mean I want to look at a bunch of raggedy-
      rag text lines in areas of my document where I'm using
      links with conceal, which are common parts of Org-mode
      documents. Emacs deals with these concealed areas
      without having them affect line breaks; I was hoping
      Vim would be able to also.

      I may check into using an insert-mode autocmd to
      dynamically alter textwidth if user enters insert-mode
      on line with concealed links. Or some kind of function
      to just reformat a block that gets called when user
      decides it's needed. Not sure if those
      will get me as far as I want to go.

      But it definitely is a use-case that makes sense, as
      evidenced by fact that Emacs has been given the
      ability to do it. ;)

      Thanks for the info. . .

      Regards,

      Herb