Vim :colorscheme on Python

  • MarkFisher
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2011
      I'm using Mac OSX Lion 10.7.2, Terminal.app supports 256 (output
      of :echo &t_Co). In my vimrc I have (PATH/TO/vim/vimrc)

      When I "vim blah.py" and :colorscheme torte, syntax colors are not
      have regular text color). That works for .c files but not python.

      I updated my syntax/python.vim but still no luck.

      Can someone tell me why (I don't see the mistake)?

      Thanks

      vimrc
      set nocompatible
      syntax on
      filetype plugin indent on
      set nobackup
      colorscheme torte

      Output of :scr ($PATH = Path/TO/VIM)
      .py
      $PATH/vimrc
      $PATH/vim73/filetype.vim
      $PATH/vim73/ftpluhin.vim
      $PATH/vim73/indent.vim
      $PATH/vim73/syntax/syntax.vim
      $PATH/vim73/syntax/synload.vim
      $PATH/vim73/syntax/syncolor.vim
      $PATH/vim73/plugin/getscriptPlugin.vim
      $PATH/vim73/plugin/gzip.vim
      $PATH/vim73/plugin/matchparam.vim
      $PATH/vim73/plugin/netrwPlugin.vim
      $PATH/vim73/plugin/rrhelper.vim
      $PATH/vim73/plugin/spellfile.vim
      $PATH/vim73/plugin/tarPlugin.vim
      $PATH/vim73/plugin/yohtml.vim
      $PATH/vim73/plugin/vimballPlugin.vim
      $PATH/vim73/plugin/zipPlugin.vim
      $PATH/vim73/ftplugin/python.vim
      $PATH/vim73/indent/python.vim
      $PATH/vim73/syntax/python.vim
      $PATH/vim73/colors/torte.vim

      .c file
      $PATH/vimrc
      $PATH/vim73/filetype.vim
      $PATH/vim73/ftpluhin.vim
      $PATH/vim73/indent.vim
      $PATH/vim73/syntax/syntax.vim
      $PATH/vim73/syntax/synload.vim
      $PATH/vim73/syntax/syncolor.vim
      $PATH/vim73/plugin/getscriptPlugin.vim
      $PATH/vim73/plugin/gzip.vim
      $PATH/vim73/plugin/matchparam.vim
      $PATH/vim73/plugin/netrwPlugin.vim
      $PATH/vim73/plugin/rrhelper.vim
      $PATH/vim73/plugin/spellfile.vim
      $PATH/vim73/plugin/tarPlugin.vim
      $PATH/vim73/plugin/yohtml.vim
      $PATH/vim73/plugin/vimballPlugin.vim
      $PATH/vim73/plugin/zipPlugin.vim
      $PATH/vim73/ftplugin/c.vim
      $PATH/vim73/indent/c.vim
      $PATH/vim73/syntax/c.vim
      $PATH/vim73/colors/torte.vim

    • Ben Fritz
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2011
        On Nov 1, 11:11 pm, MarkFisher <mytem...@...> wrote:
        > I'm using Mac OSX Lion 10.7.2, Terminal.app supports 256 (output
        > of :echo &t_Co). In my vimrc I have (PATH/TO/vim/vimrc)
        >
        > When I "vim blah.py" and :colorscheme torte, syntax colors are not

        You should not need to re-issue a colorscheme torte command, as it is
        in your .vimrc.

        What is this "torte" colorscheme? This one?

        > For example python keyword doesn't have a proper colors (They
        > have regular text color). That works for .c files but not python.
        >
        > I updated my syntax/python.vim but still no luck.

        You should not need to do this, Vim ships with decent python
        highlighting. What do you mean, "I updated my syntax/python.vim"? Did
        you find a replacement syntax file somewhere? Did you grab the latest
        from the Mercurial repository/FTP site?

        > Can someone tell me why (I don't see the mistake)?
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > vimrc
        > set nocompatible
        > syntax on
        > filetype plugin indent on

        I don't know if it matters, but I have always seen "filetype plugin
        indent on" BEFORE "syntax on".

        > set nobackup
        > colorscheme torte
        >

        > Output of :scr ($PATH = Path/TO/VIM)
        > .py
        > $PATH/vimrc
        > $PATH/vim73/filetype.vim
        > $PATH/vim73/ftpluhin.vim

        Typo? Should this be ftplugin.vim?

        > $PATH/vim73/indent.vim
        > $PATH/vim73/syntax/syntax.vim
        > $PATH/vim73/syntax/synload.vim
        > $PATH/vim73/syntax/syncolor.vim
        > $PATH/vim73/plugin/getscriptPlugin.vim
        > $PATH/vim73/plugin/gzip.vim
        > $PATH/vim73/plugin/matchparam.vim
        > $PATH/vim73/plugin/netrwPlugin.vim
        > $PATH/vim73/plugin/rrhelper.vim
        > $PATH/vim73/plugin/spellfile.vim
        > $PATH/vim73/plugin/tarPlugin.vim
        > $PATH/vim73/plugin/yohtml.vim
        > $PATH/vim73/plugin/vimballPlugin.vim
        > $PATH/vim73/plugin/zipPlugin.vim
        > $PATH/vim73/ftplugin/python.vim
        > $PATH/vim73/indent/python.vim
        > $PATH/vim73/syntax/python.vim

        Here we see, the syntax file for the python filetype, and the indent
        and plugin file as well, are correctly being sourced.

        > $PATH/vim73/colors/torte.vim

        And your colorscheme file as well.

        > .c file
        > $PATH/vimrc
        > $PATH/vim73/filetype.vim
        > $PATH/vim73/ftpluhin.vim

        Same typo?

        > $PATH/vim73/indent.vim
        > $PATH/vim73/syntax/syntax.vim
        > $PATH/vim73/syntax/synload.vim
        > $PATH/vim73/syntax/syncolor.vim
        > $PATH/vim73/plugin/getscriptPlugin.vim
        > $PATH/vim73/plugin/gzip.vim
        > $PATH/vim73/plugin/matchparam.vim
        > $PATH/vim73/plugin/netrwPlugin.vim
        > $PATH/vim73/plugin/rrhelper.vim
        > $PATH/vim73/plugin/spellfile.vim
        > $PATH/vim73/plugin/tarPlugin.vim
        > $PATH/vim73/plugin/yohtml.vim
        > $PATH/vim73/plugin/vimballPlugin.vim
        > $PATH/vim73/plugin/zipPlugin.vim
        > $PATH/vim73/ftplugin/c.vim
        > $PATH/vim73/indent/c.vim
        > $PATH/vim73/syntax/c.vim
        > $PATH/vim73/colors/torte.vim

        Here's the c plugin and syntax, and colorscheme. As expected.

        I wonder, if you're expecting something to be highlighted, that the
        syntax file simply has no highlight for? Can you send a snippet of
        text which you expect to have highlighting, and explain what is not
        highlighted in the way you expect?

        For example, for me, in:

        import os

        # Some comment

        ...the word "import" is highligted with the PreProc group, and the
        comment is highlighted with the Comment group. But the word "os" has
        no highlight.

      • MarkFisher
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 2, 2011
          On Nov 2, 9:34 am, Ben Fritz <fritzophre...@...> wrote:
          > On Nov 1, 11:11 pm, MarkFisher <mytem...@...> wrote:
          >
          > > I'm using Mac OSX Lion 10.7.2, Terminal.app supports 256 (output
          > > of :echo &t_Co). In my vimrc I have (PATH/TO/vim/vimrc)
          >
          > > When I "vim blah.py" and :colorscheme torte, syntax colors are not
          >
          > You should not need to re-issue a colorscheme torte command, as it is
          > in your .vimrc.
          >
          > What is this "torte" colorscheme? This one?

          Yes it's exactly that one.

          > > For example python keyword doesn't have a proper colors (They
          > > have regular text color). That works for .c files but not python.
          >
          > > I updated my syntax/python.vim but still no luck.
          >
          > You should not need to do this, Vim ships with decent python
          > highlighting. What do you mean, "I updated my syntax/python.vim"? Did
          > you find a replacement syntax file somewhere? Did you grab the latest
          > from the Mercurial repository/FTP site?

          I got the python.vim syntax file from vim website:
          I downloaded latest one python3.0.vim and then renamed it to
          python.vim and copied it to syntax folder.

          > > Can someone tell me why (I don't see the mistake)?
          >
          > > Thanks
          >
          > > vimrc
          > > set nocompatible
          > > syntax on
          > > filetype plugin indent on
          >
          > I don't know if it matters, but I have always seen "filetype plugin
          > indent on" BEFORE "syntax on".

          I will give it try tonight and I will update you on that.

          > > set nobackup
          > > colorscheme torte
          >
          > > Output of :scr ($PATH = Path/TO/VIM)
          > > .py
          > > $PATH/vimrc
          > > $PATH/vim73/filetype.vim
          > > $PATH/vim73/ftpluhin.vim
          >
          > Typo? Should this be ftplugin.vim?

          My mistake, that is a typo. I typed everything that :scr command
          printed.

          > > $PATH/vim73/indent.vim
          > > $PATH/vim73/syntax/syntax.vim
          > > $PATH/vim73/syntax/synload.vim
          > > $PATH/vim73/syntax/syncolor.vim
          > > $PATH/vim73/plugin/getscriptPlugin.vim
          > > $PATH/vim73/plugin/gzip.vim
          > > $PATH/vim73/plugin/matchparam.vim
          > > $PATH/vim73/plugin/netrwPlugin.vim
          > > $PATH/vim73/plugin/rrhelper.vim
          > > $PATH/vim73/plugin/spellfile.vim
          > > $PATH/vim73/plugin/tarPlugin.vim
          > > $PATH/vim73/plugin/yohtml.vim
          > > $PATH/vim73/plugin/vimballPlugin.vim
          > > $PATH/vim73/plugin/zipPlugin.vim
          > > $PATH/vim73/ftplugin/python.vim
          > > $PATH/vim73/indent/python.vim
          > > $PATH/vim73/syntax/python.vim
          >
          > Here we see, the syntax file for the python filetype, and the indent
          > and plugin file as well, are correctly being sourced.

          Yes they are and I don't know why I'm not getting right color for that
          color scheme.

          > > $PATH/vim73/colors/torte.vim
          >
          > And your colorscheme file as well.
          >
          > > .c file
          > > $PATH/vimrc
          > > $PATH/vim73/filetype.vim
          > > $PATH/vim73/ftpluhin.vim
          >
          > Same typo?

          YES

          > > $PATH/vim73/indent.vim
          > > $PATH/vim73/syntax/syntax.vim
          > > $PATH/vim73/syntax/synload.vim
          > > $PATH/vim73/syntax/syncolor.vim
          > > $PATH/vim73/plugin/getscriptPlugin.vim
          > > $PATH/vim73/plugin/gzip.vim
          > > $PATH/vim73/plugin/matchparam.vim
          > > $PATH/vim73/plugin/netrwPlugin.vim
          > > $PATH/vim73/plugin/rrhelper.vim
          > > $PATH/vim73/plugin/spellfile.vim
          > > $PATH/vim73/plugin/tarPlugin.vim
          > > $PATH/vim73/plugin/yohtml.vim
          > > $PATH/vim73/plugin/vimballPlugin.vim
          > > $PATH/vim73/plugin/zipPlugin.vim
          > > $PATH/vim73/ftplugin/c.vim
          > > $PATH/vim73/indent/c.vim
          > > $PATH/vim73/syntax/c.vim
          > > $PATH/vim73/colors/torte.vim
          >
          > Here's the c plugin and syntax, and colorscheme. As expected.

          Color syntax works perfectly with other files.

          > I wonder, if you're expecting something to be highlighted, that the
          > syntax file simply has no highlight for? Can you send a snippet of
          > text which you expect to have highlighting, and explain what is not
          > highlighted in the way you expect?
          >
          > For example, for me, in:
          >
          > import os
          >
          > # Some comment
          >
          > ...the word "import" is highligted with the PreProc group, and the
          > comment is highlighted with the Comment group. But the word "os" has
          > no highlight.

          My concern is:
          For python file -> dict, list, object, ... are keywords and I'm not
          getting light blue color on those (Just text color).
          import os -> color of import is light blue and os is text color.

          On my FreeBSD machine, NO Window Manager,... , vim shows the color of
          import red and def log -> def yellow and log light blue, dict
          list, ... light blue and so on.
          Another thing is when I had snow leopard installed, everything was
          working perfectly. That problem happened only on lion os after clean
          install.