Re: Mapping shortcuts

  • Ben Fritz
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 1, 2011
      On Oct 31, 9:47 pm, Matthew Pettis <matthew.pet...@...> wrote:
      > This is a great thread -- I'm all about using the manual and help when I
      > can, but I agree, most software that has substantial documentation and is
      > complex has a help structure that is often hard to understand... I bet a
      > lot of people would be grateful if someone would make a "How to use the
      > documentation effectively" page for vim... I'd offer, but I really don't
      > know it yet, but would love to read and learn from it...

      http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Learn_to_use_help

      Also, related to the thread, but not this specific request:

      http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Mapping_keys_in_Vim_-_Tutorial_(Part_1)
      http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Mapping_keys_in_Vim_-_Tutorial_(Part_2)
      http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Mapping_keys_in_Vim_-_Tutorial_(Part_3)

      And finally:

      http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Getting_started

    • Eric Weir
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 4, 2011
        On Oct 31, 2011, at 6:56 PM, AK wrote:

        > Basically, the idea is, "Are you already a vim expert and
        > know exactly the command you need? Boy, do we have a really
        > great tool to help you find it!"

        I'm impressed with the documentation that's been developed for Vim, but as a near novice that has been exactly my experience trying to use help. I've found the FAQs to often be more accessible.

        Eric Weir
        Decatur, GA
        eeweir@...

        "We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors,
        we borrow it from our children."

        - Chief Seattle.