Re: syntax highligting for more than one language simultaneously

  • György Kiss
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2011
      If you set the filetype to another type with a dot, vim will syntax highlight both types ex.:
      :set ft=php.html

      See :h 'ft'

      Walkman
      Sent from my iPhone

      On 2011.11.01., at 9:45, Elias Diem <pub.linux@...> wrote:

      > On Tue, Nov 01, 2011 at 09:25:48AM +0100, Eric Smith wrote:
      >
      >> I am sorry if this has been around before, but how may I have
      >> highlighting of two languages at the same time.
      >
      > I think you are looking for this
      >
      > :help :syn-include
      >
      > Elias

    • Christian Brabandt
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2011
        On Tue, November 1, 2011 1:34 pm, György Kiss wrote:
        > If you set the filetype to another type with a dot, vim will syntax
        > highlight both types ex.:
        > :set ft=php.html
        >
        > See :h 'ft'

        Only, if the second syntax files is prepared for that kind of thing,
        otherwise it won't load (as described in :h 'syntax') and you should
        really use the 'syntax' option and not the 'ft' option, but this
        depends on your specific needs.

        There is however a workaround, that has been documented in the help
        (with revision 887d6d91882e) for using embedded awk code within a
        shell script. See :h sh-awk (works only with a recent enough version
        of your runtime files).

        regards,
        Christian

      • Ben Fritz
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2011
          On Nov 1, 3:45 am, Elias Diem <pub.li...@...> wrote:
          > On Tue, Nov 01, 2011 at 09:25:48AM +0100, Eric Smith wrote:
          > > I am sorry if this has been around before, but how may I have
          > > highlighting of two languages at the same time.
          >
          > I think you are looking for this
          >
          > :help :syn-include

          Probably. Also see:

          http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Different_syntax_highlighting_within_regions_of_a_file