syntax highligting for more than one language simultaneously

  • Eric Smith
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2011
      Hi

      I am sorry if this has been around before, but how may I have
      highlighting of two languages at the same time.

      An example of this would be html/javascript embeded in perl.

      Thanks.

      --
      - Eric Smith

    • Elias Diem
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2011
        On Tue, Nov 01, 2011 at 09:25:48AM +0100, Eric Smith wrote:

        > I am sorry if this has been around before, but how may I have
        > highlighting of two languages at the same time.

        I think you are looking for this

        :help :syn-include

        Elias

      • György Kiss
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2011
          If you set the filetype to another type with a dot, vim will syntax highlight both types ex.:
          :set ft=php.html

          See :h 'ft'

          Walkman
          Sent from my iPhone

          On 2011.11.01., at 9:45, Elias Diem <pub.linux@...> wrote:

          > On Tue, Nov 01, 2011 at 09:25:48AM +0100, Eric Smith wrote:
          >
          >> I am sorry if this has been around before, but how may I have
          >> highlighting of two languages at the same time.
          >
          > I think you are looking for this
          >
          > :help :syn-include
          >
          > Elias

        • Christian Brabandt
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 1, 2011
            On Tue, November 1, 2011 1:34 pm, György Kiss wrote:
            > If you set the filetype to another type with a dot, vim will syntax
            > highlight both types ex.:
            > :set ft=php.html
            >
            > See :h 'ft'

            Only, if the second syntax files is prepared for that kind of thing,
            otherwise it won't load (as described in :h 'syntax') and you should
            really use the 'syntax' option and not the 'ft' option, but this
            depends on your specific needs.

            There is however a workaround, that has been documented in the help
            (with revision 887d6d91882e) for using embedded awk code within a
            shell script. See :h sh-awk (works only with a recent enough version
            of your runtime files).

            regards,
            Christian

          • Ben Fritz
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 1, 2011
              On Nov 1, 3:45 am, Elias Diem <pub.li...@...> wrote:
              > On Tue, Nov 01, 2011 at 09:25:48AM +0100, Eric Smith wrote:
              > > I am sorry if this has been around before, but how may I have
              > > highlighting of two languages at the same time.
              >
              > I think you are looking for this
              >
              > :help :syn-include

              Probably. Also see:

              http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Different_syntax_highlighting_within_regions_of_a_file