Re: How to edit partly folded text without it going Sproing! ?

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 30, 2011
      On Sunday, 30 October, 2011 at 11:42:22 GMT, Erik Christiansen wrote:
      >With foldmethod=marker, and lots of closed folds lower on the screen, I
      >make a new fold by appending {{{, and }}}, as appropriate. Whether I
      >place the {{{ or }}} first, Vim unfolds all the following closed folds.
      >
      >Is there something I could (do | stop doing) to make that behaviour go
      >away?

      I have the following in my vimrc. I got it from this list, I think. Apologies for losing credit to whomever first posted it.

      " Don't screw up folds when inserting text that might affect them, until
      " leaving insert mode. Foldmethod is local to the window. Protect against
      " screwing up folding when switching between windows.
      autocmd InsertEnter * if !exists('w:last_fdm') | let w:last_fdm=&foldmethod | setlocal foldmethod=manual | endif
      autocmd InsertLeave,WinLeave * if exists('w:last_fdm') | let &l:foldmethod=w: last_fdm | unlet w:last_fdm | endif

      --

      .

    • Ben Fritz
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 30, 2011
        On Oct 30, 12:07 pm, Paul <google01...@...> wrote:
        > On Sunday, 30 October, 2011 at 11:42:22 GMT, Erik Christiansen wrote:
        > >With foldmethod=marker, and lots of closed folds lower on the screen, I
        > >make a new fold by appending {{{, and }}}, as appropriate. Whether I
        > >place the {{{ or }}} first, Vim unfolds all the following closed folds.
        >
        > >Is there something I could (do | stop doing) to make that behaviour go
        > >away?
        >
        > I have the following in my vimrc. I got it from this list, I think. Apologies for losing credit to whomever first posted it.
        >
        > " Don't screw up folds when inserting text that might affect them, until
        > " leaving insert mode. Foldmethod is local to the window. Protect against
        > " screwing up folding when switching between windows.
        > autocmd InsertEnter * if !exists('w:last_fdm') | let w:last_fdm=&foldmethod |   setlocal foldmethod=manual | endif
        > autocmd InsertLeave,WinLeave * if exists('w:last_fdm') | let &l:foldmethod=w:   last_fdm | unlet w:last_fdm | endif

        It may have been from here:

        http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Keep_folds_closed_while_inserting_text

        "Sproing". Good description :-)

      • Erik Christiansen
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 31, 2011
          On 30.10.11 17:07, Paul wrote:
          > " Don't screw up folds when inserting text that might affect them, until
          > " leaving insert mode. Foldmethod is local to the window. Protect against
          > " screwing up folding when switching between windows.
          > autocmd InsertEnter * if !exists('w:last_fdm') | let w:last_fdm=&foldmethod | setlocal foldmethod=manual | endif
          > autocmd InsertLeave,WinLeave * if exists('w:last_fdm') | let &l:foldmethod=w:last_fdm | unlet w:last_fdm | endif

          Ooooh yes, many thanks Paul. (And Ben, for the link.)

          That does the trick, just Vimderfully!

          Erik

          --
          My grandmother currently runs ubuntu. This was not my doing, but she managed
          to wipe her windows and install it accidentally when someone handed her the

        • Andy Wokula
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 31, 2011
            Am 30.10.2011 12:42, schrieb Erik Christiansen:
            > Folding in Vim is a paragon amongst marvels. Not even bottled beer
            > competes. But I'm having a bit of bother holding my mouth right.
            >
            > With foldmethod=marker, and lots of closed folds lower on the screen, I
            > make a new fold by appending {{{, and }}}, as appropriate. Whether I
            > place the {{{ or }}} first, Vim unfolds all the following closed folds.
            >
            > Is there something I could (do | stop doing) to make that behaviour go
            > away?
            >
            > Just doing zm isn't enough, because of nested folds.
            >
            > Erik

            I use
            :inorea fof <C-G>u<C-R>=&fmr<CR><Esc>F,s<CR><Up><End>

            to insert fold markers.

            E.g. typing "before fof<Enter>text" results in
            before {{{
            text
            }}}

            The idea is to have a mapping/abbrev that inserts {{{ and }}} at the
            same time.

            --
            Andy