Re: executing SHFT J on certain lines of a visual selection

  • meino.cramer@gmx.de
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 3, 2011
      Tim Chase <vim@...> [11-10-03 18:56]:
      > On 10/03/11 11:17, Taylor Hedberg wrote:
      > >Try this:
      > >
      > > :g/^\d.*\n[^0-9]/j
      > >
      > >See `:help :global` and `:help :join`.
      >
      > I'd almost be tempted to do
      >
      > :v/^\d/-j
      >
      > in case you have more than one line wrapped such as
      >
      > 1234 alpha beta
      > gamma delta
      > frog toad
      > camel muskmelon
      >
      > The change means "on lines that don't match my intended-start-of-line,
      > join it with the previous line".
      >
      > -tim

      Hi Taylor, hi Tim,

      thank you for your replies! :)

      Both commands do nothing here...what did I wrong?

      Best regards,
      mcc

    • Taylor Hedberg
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 3, 2011
        meino.cramer@..., Mon 2011-10-03 @ 19:17:20+0200:
        > Both commands do nothing here...what did I wrong?

        I really don't know. I tried both on the example text you provided and
        they worked for me.

        Do you have a command line mapping or abbreviation that could be
        interfering with the command (shot in the dark, I know).

      • Tim Chase
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 3, 2011
          On 10/03/11 12:17, meino.cramer@... wrote:
          > Hi Taylor, hi Tim,
          >
          > Both commands do nothing here...what did I wrong?

          Does your data look like the sample data you provided? :)

          Are you seeing visual artifacts of having 'wrap' set and the
          lines in question don't really have newlines? When you say they
          do nothing, do you mean "nothing at all", or do you get an E486:
          "Pattern not found" or a "Pattern found on every line" response?

          -tim