Re: Link to part of the same file

  • Fernando Basso
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 3, 2011
      On Oct 3, 4:11 am, Marko Mahnič <marko.mah...@...> wrote:

      > Maybe Universal Text Linking plugin can help you:

      > You have to create the TOC manually, though, but you could automate it
      > with some scripting, maybe using the g command.

      This plugins seems very good. I'm taking a look at it. Thanks

    • Fernando Basso
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 4, 2011
        Well, so far, what I'm liking better is using vim's help syntax
        to have files and tags being linked around. I'm been trying
        to use links inside plain text files because I like to jot down
        summaries and tips I learn. I found that having a combined
        filetype:

        set filetype=help.txtfmt

        is pretty much all I need. Then I save the files in:

        ~/Summaries/doc/

        and run :helptags ~/Summaries/doc/ when I update something.

        This way I can access my 'reminders' from within vim and with
        the ability to jump around my stuff.

        To automatize that I'm trying to get the hang of this:
        http://tbaggery.com/2011/08/08/effortless-ctags-with-git.html

      • Erik Christiansen
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 12, 2011
          On 04.10.11 05:45, Fernando Basso wrote:
          > Well, so far, what I'm liking better is using vim's help syntax
          > to have files and tags being linked around. I'm been trying
          > to use links inside plain text files because I like to jot down
          > summaries and tips I learn. I found that having a combined
          > filetype:

          I'll have to try your method; it looks good. For many years I've made do
          with:

          a) Putting notes in separate files, so that gf provides the link.

          b) Using folding, so that section headings become the TOC when the
          file is folded. (My 300 page unix survival notes fold to 3 pages
          of TOC.)

          c) I did try some simple strings of unique text, so that * would jump
          to the intra-file "link", but there are only 2 in 300 pages.

          d) For "linking" of disparate occurrences of related material, I just
          use capitalised keywords. (Often out of the way on the RHS.) Then,
          again, * flits between conceptually related paragraphs, until I
          bump into the one which I need.

          I had considered using a couple of lines of awk to generate a tags file,
          according to some convenient rules, but maybe helptags will suffice.

          Erik

          --
          In a tunnel 86m long, they unearthed what is believed to be the largest
          deposit of human excrement ever found in the Roman world. Seven hundred