Re: replace e flag works in command but fails if that command in key mapping

  • porphyry5
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2011
      Using vim 7.2 on slackware 13.1
      OK, I've traced the problem with the error flag not being suppressed. It is
      caused because vim is still using an old version of .vimrc, not the current
      version, i.e. it is using a version preceding my addition of the e flag to
      those replace commands.

      It does so because of another mapping in my .vimrc

      " Type ;q to save all files and close out session
      :map ;q :wa<CR>:mksession! ~/vim.ses<CR>:qa<CR>

      According to :h mksession "When [!] is included an existing file is
      overwritten." But that is not happening, and there is no warning message.
      I closed out one of my open buffers, and ran that ;q command, then started
      vim again. And the buffer that I had specifically closed out was back in
      the open buffers list. When I separately rm vim.ses, and then run the ;q
      command, it creates the vim.ses as expected.

      So I decided to rm vim.ses in the mapping, changing it to

      :map ;q :!rm ~/vim.ses<CR>:wa<CR>:mksession! ~/vim.ses<CR>:qa<CR>

      but this caused a warning message to be displayed, requiring me to press
      Enter to execute the rm, so I changed it again to

      :map ;q :silent! rm ~/vim.ses<CR>:wa<CR>:mksession! ~/vim.ses<CR>:qa<CR>

      which is certainly silent, but doesn't remove the file.

      I seem to be going deeper and deeper into a morass with this seemingly
      simple desire, that Vim should start in exactly the same state it had when I
      last closed it. So how should I be doing this?

    • porphyry5
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 2, 2011
        Well, I think I finally have this figured out. If I'm using sessions,
        any session includes its own .vimrc, being that .vimrc in effect when
        the session was first begun. Then changing the actual .vimrc file has
        no effect on the session, because it will never reload the
        actual .vimrc. So if I want to change a mapping in .vimrc, and have
        the benefit of that change in my session, I must make the new mapping
        explicitly in the current session, as well as in .vimrc.

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 2, 2011
          On 02/10/11 16:04, porphyry5 wrote:
          > Well, I think I finally have this figured out. If I'm using sessions,
          > any session includes its own .vimrc, being that .vimrc in effect when
          > the session was first begun. Then changing the actual .vimrc file has
          > no effect on the session, because it will never reload the
          > actual .vimrc. So if I want to change a mapping in .vimrc, and have
          > the benefit of that change in my session, I must make the new mapping
          > explicitly in the current session, as well as in .vimrc.

          On the contrary, starting Vim with -S will source your vimrc first; but
          then it will proceed with your session file, which may override anything
          your vimrc has set.

          You may use sessions without running :mksession -- a session file is
          just a Vim script sourced after your vimrc, usually to set up your
          windows and tabs and such. You can create one by hand, e.g. as

          cd ~
          e file1.txt
          new file2.txt
          new /path/to/file3.txt
          lcd %:h
          tabnew /someotherpathto/file4.txt
          tabnew file5.txt
          tab help
          tabnext " wrap around to first tab
          wincmd w " wrap around to first window

          You can even name it ~/Session.vim, then "vim -S" or "gvim -S" will run
          it; and they will use all the settings of your vimrc too.

          There's only one way to have a happy marriage and as soon as I learn
          what it is I'll get married again.
          -- Clint Eastwood

        • porphyry5
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 3, 2011
            You're right, it does load .vimrc first, because *new* entries made to
            that file show up in the session, but modified entries do not, because
            they are overwritten, and deleted entries still exist in the session,
            because the sessions file restores them. I really can't see the point
            of preserving these relic entries like this, surely one would always
            want to be using the most up to date .vimrc in its entirety. Instead
            what one gets is a mixture of the most recent .vimrc and the one in
            effect when the session was first created. That's confusing enough
            when one uses only one session, but if you have several of them for
            different projects, each using a different mix of .vimrc files?

            So I googled for solutions to this problem, and apparently these
            entries in vimrc, in the order given, will do the trick, though
            deleted entries will still live on in the session, but those present
            no problem.

            :autocmd! " Remove ALL autocommands for current group, ensures
            subsequent aus will only ever be included once
            au! BufWritePost ~/.vimrc source % " reload .vimrc each time the
            file is updated

            So now I'm going to kill my current session file and recreate it, and
            test this autocommand out.