pythonHelper script optimization!

  • enc0der
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 28, 2011
      Hello again!

      A month and a half ago I has asked for some help on creating some
      functions within gvim for helping me with Python coding and Christian
      Brabandt was very helpful in giving me a starting point for me to work
      off of. The code itself works perfect, but the performance of the
      code while opening a file or making changes is pretty horrible if the
      file is a bit long (although not hugely long).

      I put the script here so it could be looked at:
      http://asylumstudioproductions.com/vim/pythonHelper.vim

      What this script does:

      - Any tabs or spaces not dividable by 4 generates a red line of text
      to say there is a problem with that line
      - depth 0 shows in purple
      - depth 1+ alternates between cyan and blue

      This is to help identify where your scope should be when working in
      deeper nested functions.

      In any case, anyone have any idea how to improve the performance.
      Each line is independent (meaning their result of coloring should not
      depend on any other line in the file). I think it is working on the
      whole file again each time. Also, while editing a line, I wanted it
      to update as I was typing. The original version did not update as
      often as I would like.

      Any suggestions GREATLY appreciated.

      Rick