RE: Color Definition at VIM Invocation???

  • Ken Schmitt
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 27, 2011
      Thanks Ben, the following .vimrc file worked perfectly with my version 5.7 VIM to define additional colors not covered in the c syntax file:

      set showcmd
      set showmatch
      set ignorecase
      set incsearch
      set autowrite
      syntax on
      set nocompatible
      set tabstop=4
      set textwidth=132

      fun! LinkColorGroups()
      highlight link cConditional VisualNOS
      highlight link cRepeat VisualNOS
      highlight link cStatement VisualNOS
      highlight link cLabel VisualNOS
      highlight link cStructure VisualNOS
      highlight link cStorageClass VisualNOS
      endfun

      aug SetupColors
      au!
      au BufRead,BufNewFile * call LinkColorGroups()
      aug END

      The autocommand allowed the colors to be updated after the c syntax file initialized the colors. I will update to a later VIM in the near future.

      Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

      Ken Schmitt

      > Does 5.7 have autocommands?  If so, put 'em in a function that gets
      > called when editing files:

      I'm pretty sure syntax highlighting has always been triggered using autocmds, so probably this will work.

      > fun! LinkColorGroups()
      >      highlight link cConditional VisualNOS
      >      highlight link cRepeat VisualNOS
      >      highlight link cStatement VisualNOS
      >      highlight link cLabel VisualNOS
      >      highlight link cStructure VisualNOS
      >      highlight link cStorageClass VisualNOS endfun
      >
      > aug SetupColors
      >      au!
      >      au BufRead,BufNewFile * call LinkColorGroups() aug END

      I'd try an autocmd like this first:

      au Syntax c call LinkColorGroups

      Since it's closer to what you're trying to accomplish.

      But perhaps it won't work in a Vim as old as 5.7.